Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753802 Members
8623 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Where does SIM get the "System Name" from?

John Oliver3
Advisor

Where does SIM get the "System Name" from?

One of my DL380s showed up in SIM as "Orphan-10" with no IP address or anything else that would indicate which machine it is. How do I find out?
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Where does SIM get the "System Name" from?

System name is only through what HP SIM can resolve through DNS. Orphan usually means a system that has some kind of conflict, usually caused by imaging.
John Oliver3
Advisor

There are four DL380s on that subnet. Two identified correctly. Then there's the "Orphan" identified as a DL380. Then there are two entries, one each for the remaining two DL380s, showing the System Type as "Unknown" and giving the IP addresses. Both of those systems have what appear to be fully functional SMHes.

Why would one system be detected twice, oncec as an "Orphan" DL380 and once as an "Unknown" host? And what more could be necessary for SIM to see them correctly other than working SMH pages?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Use 'Configure or Repair Agents...' from HP SIM. It will fix your communication problems.
John Oliver3
Advisor

I've run that on a couple of them. It looks like it ran successfully, except for a message about not being able to establish an SSH session (duh... the target is a Windows system). But nothing seems to have changed.

I did go through DNS and found a couple of discrepancies which I resolved. I made sure that the SIM server could resolve all machine names forward, and that reverse resolution matched forward. I then deleted all problem entries and manually discovered the four systems. There are three with SMH pages up, and those all show up as Unknown. The one that shows up as a DL380 has no SMH up, and is also the one that I can't find a working login for :-)
John Oliver3
Advisor

"Identifying" these systems after adding the public RO community fixed this issue.