Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752570 Members
5186 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why so many tasks in pending state ?

OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Why so many tasks in pending state ?

Hello.
My HW polling task for servers is rescheduled every 15 minutes and takes about 6mn30s to complete. The HW polling task for non servers is rescheduled every 60 minutes and takes about 6mn to complete.
This morning, I have 27 HW polling task for servers in pending state, and 40 for the the non server.
I usually have 4 of 5 of each.
Could someone give me an explanation ?
I restart SIM and SQL every night to free the memory, could it be the cause ?
Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

I've experienced this in the past as well. In my case, it was due to a large number of systems being unreachable (critical). I had the time outs set to 60 seconds, and retries to 6. So in effect, each system that was unreachable would take 6 minutes to fail. Sim seems to have a limit on the number of systems it will attempt to poll at any one given time (around 6-8 I'd guess). So once it was polling 6 unreachable servers, everything came to a halt until one finally reached it's last retry. This extended what normally was a 3 minute poll to approximately 35 minutes.

Every poll (scheduled for 15 minute intervals for servers and 30 minute for non-servers) scheduled to occuring during that 35 minute window was delayed. So I now had 3 polls in queue waiting to start. Once the first poll ended, the second immediately started, but also took 35 minutes. So you can see how the backup of "Pending" polls grew exponentially. Once I resolved all the "Unreachable" systems (deleting some obsolete systems, and marking some taken out of production for a weekend move as "Suspend Monitoring"), the backup started to work it's way back down quickly. I still ended up just cancelling a large number of them though, no really sense letting them all run.

Now, there are any number of things that could be happening in the background to cause a poll to be put as "Pending", but hopefully this scenario I dealt with will give you some background and a place to start digging into your situation.

Good luck!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've seen tasks get stuck in "pending" with the recent versions of HPSIM.
I've not yet found a trigger. But certainly if we have a large number of outages, each of which will trigger a Custom Command I've seen instances where a number of these tasks never complete.

It cannot be the task itself as a number do complete.
I've also found these "pending" tasks cannot be stopped or deleted until HPSIM is restarted.

we're on Systems Insight Manager 5.0 with SP4 - Windows Build - C.05.00.01.01
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all.
I changed the polling timeout from 30s/retries:2 to timeout:15s retries:2 but no changes. However, the number of pending tasks is back to a 'normal' value of about 5 or 6. It was the same before to upgrade to SIM 5.0Sp4.
This does not seem to affect the normal behaviour of SIM. Hope HP will fix that in a future release of SIM (with the right for non admin users to clear the events!!!!!)
I will close this thread in the comming days if there is no more suggestions.
Regards
Andrey  Romanov

I've got the same problem, but it looks like there is not any solution :(

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1014103
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

I close this thread as it seems this is related to HP SIM5. Hope HP will pay attention to it and fix it in the future.