108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2008 R2 servers not discovered

sri77
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2008 R2 servers not discovered

Hi,

Any one help me.

I have installed widnows 2008 R2 Enterprise on HP servers and configured SNMP including HP SIM server details.In SIM server when try to discover the server it is not discovering. For discovering i am giving server IP address & Server ILO IP address.

Only ILO address is discovered but when i browse to 'ALL Systems', system is availble but health status is showing as disabled.

I am using HP SIM 5.3 with SP1
Is there any setting i need to modify?

Please help how to resolve this issue.
10 REPLIES 10
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Does it discover any object? Normally if you give it a valid IP it will find "something" and if SNMP and other settings are not correct it will just show it as an unknown object - but it still will show "something". Do you see any type of object when you do a manual discovery?

Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

A server can be discovered using via its ILO. In this case the server often shows up under its serial number.
In that case the HW status for the server (IP or name depending on DNS) itself may show as disabled.
Delete the server discovered under the serial number and re-identify the server.
sri77
Occasional Contributor

Rob & Nelson,

Thanks for the Updates.
As per your update I have deleted the discovered ILO IP and corresponding serial number from the database.I manualy tried discovering only with 'Disabled server serial number', i founded attached message. Also i tried again with system name, it is not discovered any thing and same for when i used system IP address.
if i given ILO IP with system IP, it is discovering ILO IP only in the disvoery result. If i browse through 'ALL Systems'i can see along with ILO IP and system serial number also coming.

Hope you got my problem.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

On the HP SIM All Systems page, sort by IP address and check the server is not listed.
Also check amongst devices listed without IP addresses that the server is not there. You can discover servers indirectly using either ILO or a Blade Enclosure.
If they're discovered that way first subsequent discoveries may not work as expected.

Also, from the HP SIM server itself, just try and ping the server you're trying to discover. This will ensure there are no firewalls on the server itself blocking discovery. You may want to check for firewalls and disable them if they're there.
sri77
Occasional Contributor

Rob,
Thanks for the update.
As per your update i tried pinging the server from SIM server to 'Health status disabled' server, not getting ping. Then i have changed the firewall settings and tried again i got the ping.
Then i have deleted the 'disabled health status server' from the SIM and discovered again.
Both ILO & Server are discovered but when i added to group. The health status is showing as fine and managment processor status is not showing any thing.

But if i browse through all the systems i am able the find ILO IP. Why Management Processor status is not showing?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Ensure you can ping both the ILO and server from the HPSIM Server.
Then run an Identification task against both the ILO and Server.
I find that often pulls them into line.
Peter Boel
Occasional Visitor

Did you diasble your firewall on the 2008R2 server?
Peter_292
Advisor

Hi

We have the same Problem. PL DL380 G6 with Windows 2008 R2 is discovered als "unknown" in System Insight Manager. PSP 8.30

SNMP is configured correctly
Firewall is OFF for all Network Profiles
SIM Config is correct

tried reinstalling SNMP and PSP allready

Any clue on that ?

regards Peter
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Unknown means that it has detected a discovery protocol on the server but not been able to use it to DI the server.
Check in the main page what protocols have been discovered. Rerun the ID task and check the results.
Verify SNMP community names are correct (they're case-sensitive) and that the HPSIM Server is an allowed server.