Occasional Advisor

Re: Windows 2012 R2 discovery issue by SIM

The servers are managed...

I guess I have to switch to WBEM...

scklam
Occasional Advisor

Sorry..one more question...

I know that for initial discovery, I need to supply login/password if I use WBEM protocol.

If the account password is later changed, will it affect the monitoring?

Thanks.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

ok, so in this case does the OS where HP SIM manager currently running must disable the UAC ?

or this is another Hp SIM issue/bug ?

Best regards,
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Your question about WBEM - yes - you have to update the system's credentials in SIM or add a global credential.  The credentials for each protocol you use always have to match or you can't poll for health information, run identification tasks or receive WBEM events.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Some suggestions.. Check your SIM install directory's traps folder to see if the XML files are out there for your new server.  It's possible SIM is not processing them.

Another..  set up another system as a trap receiver and sent a test trap to that machine from your new server to see if SNMP outbound traps are working at all.

Check the SMH and make sure your source is set to SNMP and not WBEM.  If you can, stop and disable or remove the WBEM agents if you are not going to use them.  To my knowledge, the agents will send both SNMP and WBEM, but HP recommends only using one protocol.

If your new server is a Gen8 machine, consider using agentless monitoring where you only have to discover the iLO and it is monitored via SNMP.  This way you never need access to the server OS, just the iLO for the initial configuration.  There is an agent but it is optional (gathers more information, monitors a few extra things).