New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wrong name in Auto-Discovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jim Hanson
Advisor

Wrong name in Auto-Discovery

Hi,
I'm running 5.1 sp1, and when I set up an auto-discovery on an iLO, i get the server name discovered as rack_enclosure_slot-Front
If i manually discover the server, it comes in as the correct server name. Any ideas?

thanks
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Turn off iLO auto discovery.
Jim Hanson
Advisor

I want to use ilo auto discovery. I have one network for my ilos versus many for my servers, and it would simplify my administration. Besides, "turn it off" isn't much of a fix, is it?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

In order for HP SIM to manage a device, it has to be able to discover and identify it on its own. The purpose of iLO Auto Discovery is for a new server that is placed on the network without an OS. While iLO has a host name and IP address, the server host does not. When the iLO is discovered and iLO Auto Discovery is on, iLO passes some basic information about the server host to HP SIM and creates an entry. That entry is given a suspended hardware status and its operating system type is 'undeployed.' Once an OS is on the server and it can be discovered and identified in HP SIM, the undeployed entry should get rationalized with the functioning system.
Jim Hanson
Advisor

ok, that makes sense.
thanks for that.
Jim Hanson
Advisor

x