1753371 Members
4845 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: XP Client or Agent for SIM?

NGKMiami

XP Client or Agent for SIM?

This may seem like a simple question..
I have SIM 5.1 set up and everything in it seems to be working fine, I can discover everything on my network, servers, PC's, switches, etc.. I am able to manage my servers just fine. However, I can't seem to manage any of my Windows XP Pro computers. I was able to install the Insight Management Agent version 5.01D1 on an HP Workstation xw6000, but this system still comes up as "unmanaged". Also, when I attempted to install this agent on an HP Compaq dx2000 MT the computer spontaneously rebooted in a loop and I had to uninstall the agent in safe mode to get it to boot properly again. What do I need to do or install on my Windows XP Pro machines so that they can change from "unmanaged" status... ie: so that I can manage them using SIM. Also, I'm going to try out the HP Client Manager (Altiris) which is supposedly "Free" according to the HP Download site, but then when I installed it it says it's just a 30 day evaluation version.. this seems misleading, Free is not the same as 30 day trial. This is all taking place in a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain, with the SIM server and PC's all joined to the domain. Thanks in advance for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

On that last bit about the HP Client Manager, IIRC you just need to get a key from HP.
The key is free. You probably need to register.

You can configure HPSIM to use WBEM and give it some Domain Credentials, that will allow it to pull out the details.
As a note I've had issues with WBEM, so I tend to enable it globally but leave the credentials blank and then use the server specific wbem credentials to allow access.
NGKMiami

Thanks for the quick response!

I am a bit unclear about how to configure the WBEM protocol credentials.. I tried using domain\administrator and did a rediscovery but the PC's still come up as "unmanaged". One thing I may have done wrong from the start is I first installed SIM on the server prior to joining it to the domain, I joined the server to my domain after installing SIM. Do I need to uninstall and re-install SIM now?
KPark
Advisor

You do not need to uninstall Sim, all you need to do is add credentials to the Wbem field. On the Sim console; Options > Protocol Settings > Global Protocol Settings. Add in an account that is valid on all the desktops. This in itself will not change the unmanged status. Have you configured snmp? Also, DMI is enable by default, but make sure.