1745782 Members
3373 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: cannot install HP Insight Management Agents on VMWare 2008 R2

asdraper
Occasional Contributor

cannot install HP Insight Management Agents on VMWare 2008 R2

I am setting up HP SIM on a VMware instance running Windows Server 2008 R2.  This virtual machine is the CMS, as well as the repository for VCRM.  Having lots of issues getting information from this server in to SIM, as well as recognizing the VCRM installed here.  Seems most problems are boiling down to the lack of the Insight Management Agents (either SNMP or WBEM).  The package will not install, even through the Update Manager, due to missing a controller driver.  None of the controller drivers I can find will install, failing dependencies on "HP ProLiant iLO 3/4 Management Controller Driver Package for Windows - HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver for Windows".  I have tried to install these packages but the installer errors with "The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system. "

It seems as though, ultimately, my problem is with running the system on the VMWare rather than a physical server.  Am I missing a software package somewhere along the way?  

4 REPLIES 4
asdraper
Occasional Contributor

I see that I cannot install the agents on the VM, so is there another way to get information reported from this device?  Or at least, get SIM to see that the VCRM is installed here?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

He,

Be sure that you install the SMH Systems Management Homepage inside the VM.

Second, also enable SNMP inside the OS and configure it like it should (community strings and so on).

The Insight Agents itself are useless since the check the hardware, which is not applicable inside a VM...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
asdraper
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.

I have the SMH installed, although the SIM tells me when I run manage communications that it is not installed or is not responding properly.

The SNMP service is running, and is configured with the proper community strings (I have other managed systems set up the same way and are reporting properly).  

Perhaps I do not need the management agents on the CMS, but then I am still stuck with not being able to pick up the VCRM, among other communication issues.  

Simply trying to run the discovery on the system, my output is attached.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Following the output indeed SNMP is OK...

In the discovery task did you enter credentials that are valid to connect to the Windows server? I see that discovery is not working for through WBEM/WMI...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !