3024 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

connect ILO in two blade enclosures

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paco Abal

connect ILO in two blade enclosures

How do I have to interconnect my 2 blade enclosures to be able to reach all the blade servers in both enclosures via ILO Ip address using only 1 ethernet cable? Do I have to attach an ethernet cable to the ILO port of each enclosure? Our vendor told us that using only 1 ethernet cable attached to the ILO port of 1 enclosure could manage all the ILO in all enclosures because enclosures are linked one to each other, is that true?
2 REPLIES 2
Solution

Re: connect ILO in two blade enclosures

What you are expecting based on what you were told is only half right.

With the latest versions of the iLO firmware (I'm thinking 1.60 and up, but don't hold me to that), while within the web interface of any 1 iLO in a properly configured rack of blades you can see a graphical picture of all the blades in that rack. This requires that all of the enclosures have their management ports connected properly with ethernet cables. Essentially each enclosure has two management ports, one to connect it to the enclosure above it, and one to the enclosure below it. I believe each enclosure comes with a short blue cable specifically for this purpose.

Now, this is all seperate from the iLO network connections themselves. On the newer 'enhanced' enclosures, all the iLO ports for a given enclosure were consolidated into one port on the back of the enclosure, rather then taking up one of the network ports via the interconnect switchs or pass through patch panels.

In order to connect to each iLO, it needs to be connected. This either means each enhanced blade enclosure needs a network cable to its dedicated iLO port, or in the case of the old enclosure it would go through the interconnects.

Hope that explains it for you.
Paco Abal

Re: connect ILO in two blade enclosures

Thank you for your response. If I connect an ethernet cable to each ILO port then all works fine.