5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

don't rename a server in SIM 7.5

Evgeniy84
Occasional Visitor

don't rename a server in SIM 7.5

Hi,

We configured HP SIM 7.5. We have a problem. We don't rename a server.

For example, we want to rename a server "dc1-bch05-08-23-05.esx.lan". 

And we want to give it new name «HP-Proliant-BL460c-G8-CZ3330KLLS-dc1-bch05-08-23-05.esx.lan-10.10.1.99» (  the name consist of a servel model+serial number+hostname+IP adress of the  management interface) (to see skreenshot №1)

When we tryed to save the new name of server we saw a sing with a warning  «Any future discovery of a new system using the new name will cause this system to revert back to its old name» (to see skreenshot № 2).

In a few hours to appear a new object ( we don't cofigure "discover") : «HP-Proliant-BL460c-G8-CZ3330KLLS-dc1-bch05-08-23-05»,

The object which we rename back to old name «10.126.97.46»  (to see skreenshot № 3).

Why is it happening?

How can I set the server to have a new name given to it and so that the previous one did not appear any more ?

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: don't rename a server in SIM 7.5

There are a couple of reasons object are added:
Discovery
Receiving traps
Other componenten that tell you there are other objects like onboard admins in an enclosure.

The last adds ilo's, switches and servers.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

In this case i suspect onboard Admin hardware identification adds the objects it finds.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Evgeniy84
Occasional Visitor

We renamed the serever HP SIM.
And when we swich on "daily system indefication" the previous name comes back. (scr.11)

For example, the name of server "HP-Proliant-BL460c-G8-CZ3330KLLS-dc1-bch05-08-23-05.esx.lan-10.10.1.99" come back to"10.126.97.46"

Why is this happening?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you lookup the server go to the tab Tools and Links. Click on the Edit System Properties, change the name and select the Prevent the Discovery proccess from changing this system name. Also look in you Onboard Admin config to look for the old name and change it there. the OA identification scans the Onboard Admin and adds systems that it finds by the name found in the Onboard Admin. The Onboard Admin is read from SIM using a XML page. the url should look something like this : https://OnboardadminIP/xmldata?item=all
Kind regards,

Andrew
Evgeniy84
Occasional Visitor

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately, to us doesn`t help to solve the problem if we change properties in the server " Present the Discovery process from changing this system name" ( screen 1)

Is this bug of SIM?
What I do incorrectly?

And I don't understand, why SIM to give to the server so name when finds new objects?

For example, the server's name when finds new objects in SIM is "dc1-bch05-08-23-05" (Options -> Discovery) ( screen 2)
And in onboard Administration (https://10.10.1.93/xmldata?item=all) for the server's name is "dc1-bch05-08-23-05.esx.lan" (screen 3)

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

The ILO also has this function, perhaps the name came from there ?

I never change the name by hand, i always solve these problems with reverse DNS. If you discover the server right it will do a reverse lookup of the main IP-adres it gets.
Kind regards,

Andrew