1753652 Members
5614 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: email notifications

Stimmer6253472
Occasional Contributor

email notifications

I am in the process of setting up SIM for evaluation. In doing so I have run across a simple config setting that I cannot find. Presently I have it setup so that when a server is unavailable it sends an email notification stating that the server is offline. This works great. However, I do not get any type of notification that the system has come back online. Can this be done? If so how? We are presently using a What's Up Gold type of product to accomplish this need. However, if this is something SIM can handle out of the box I would like to utilize. Seems like a simple need but for the life of me I cannot not find out how to accomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Particulars:
SIM ver: 5.1 with SP1 - Windows
Build ver: C.05.01.00.02
Thanks in advance,
Jim Lewis
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM by default clears the event by default when the server is seen again by the polling.

There are a couple of "Informational" Events generated as a server comes back online - there's a Cold Start Trap for one.

If you look at the events for a server, click on the server name and then look under the events for that server, then you should see other events associated with the server. You could build a notification task built on that event.
Note there is a difference in how the events are generated. Server outages are picked up by the polling task, so the event is generated by HPSIM. Cold Start Traps are sent by the server and so need the SNMP Trap Send to be configured correctly.
Paul_627
Frequent Advisor

Options>Events>Automatic Event Handling>New Task
Select:
Event type is Systems Insight Manager Events and type name is System is reachable

Stimmer6253472
Occasional Contributor

thanks worked great.