cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error accessing DB after upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0

CJS
Occasional Advisor

error accessing DB after upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0

Hello all, I receive the following msg in my app event log and my SIM hompage will not load.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 8/30/2005
Time: 11:29:25 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER123
Description:
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Shortly after that event is generated, the following is made:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 8/30/2005
Time: 11:29:39 AM
Computer: Computer123
Description:
Restarting MxDomainManager

Any suggestions???

5 REPLIES
Brian Wright_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: error accessing DB after upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0

I have this same problem and it came about just OUT OF THE BLUE, with no reboots or service restarts, my SIM 5.0 server just stopped communication w/ the dbase. Help!
Be Patient, I'm reloading.
Phydeaux
Advisor

I am also getting the same error. but I've been upgraded for a long while now. The upgrade happened with no problems.

I agree that this happened out of the blue.

I would like to add that all services (for Windows installations) are started & running. But it seems that when trying to launch HP Systems Insight Manager, the Checking HTTP status will go on forever.

If you do a netstat -an, you will never see port 280 listed.

The event logs shown by Chris Sweeny continue to repeat every 23 seconds. With an additional one:
Type: Informational
Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Category: None
Description: Restart was Successful

And lastly, I am running HP SIM 5.0 with SP3.

CJS
Occasional Advisor

Got mine working with the following:
mxpassword -r -x MxDBUserPassword
mxpassword -a -x MxDBUserPassword=

If you alrady have a MxDBUserPassword you can use:
mxpassword -m -x MXDBUserPassword=
Phydeaux
Advisor

Thanks for your help but I need a little more info...

Could you explain what the parameters will do in detail (or provide a useful link)? I can gather that one probable removes something and the other adds a password. I tried 'mxpassword -?' but it wasn't useful.

Could you by chance tell me what authenticates the user account MxDBUserPassword? This is so that I can understand if I am to put the password to the service account that runs HP SIM.

Additionally, is 'MxDBUserPassword' exactly what I should type, or should I change this user to the service account that runs HP SIM? e.g.

Additionally, can I just make up a password?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Phydeaux
Advisor

This is a summary of:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955

These steps solved my issue of:
Application Event:
Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 2:23:22 PM
Type: Error
Computer: [left out]
Description: com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 2
Description: Restarting MxDomainManager

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Information
Description: Restart was Successful

Then the 3 would cycle again 25 seconds later.

mxpassword is useful:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html
especially 'mxpassword -g' for users with complex password that include double quotes.

mxuser is not useful to solve this situation:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxuser.1m.html

Summarized:
The problem is that the user account that installed HP SIM 5 is associated as the account to connect to the SQL server & that account is no longer working. This commonly breaks when the user's password or the account's name has been changed. That is why HP SIM should be installed while logged in with the same account that will be its service account. Installing under an equivalent user's administrator account and then changing the services to run under a different account will be a situation that will break when the user needs to change their password. This situation includes service pack updates to HP SIM.

To fix this change/verify the user account in the database.props file within 'C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config'. Look for the field 'hp.Database.username='. Change it to the same account that is used to run the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service.
Then use 'mxpassword -g' or 'mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=""'. The point is to change the password to the one of the service account.
Then restart the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service or restart the computer. If you start the service, give it a few minute to start up.

Note: It is a good idea to have your monitoring solution monitor for these events just in case of this situation.