5002 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: generic unregistered trap received from ESX

sdb_2
Regular Advisor

generic unregistered trap received from ESX

Hi,

I added our ESX servers to the HPSIM database. All the ESX servers have the ESX hp agents installed and snmp configured to send traps to HPSIM.
All this is working fine, I can view the servers in the hardware overview and HPSIM receives events from them.

One event I also received is this:

Event Name: (SNMP) Generic Unregistered
Event description: A genericUnregistered trap signifies that a system has sent a trap to the management server for a MIB that has not yet been compiled. Try compiling any MIBs from the vendor for this system to obtain additional information. See Details for more information.

cpqGenEntOIDStr: 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.4
cpqGenTrapID: 6
cpqSpecTrapID: 2

I googled the trap and that way found out that it has something to do with net-snmp, so I started looking for the net-snmp mibs in the mibs directory from hpsim. Couldn't find them there so I downloaded and compiled them using this commands:

mxcompile
mxmib -a

Now, all the mibs I compiled are showing in hpsim via options->events->SNMP trap settings.
However, some mibs are showing in the "mib dropdown", but don't have any traps inside...

Still, after installing and compiling this mibs, I receive this "generic unregistered" event.
Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you've licensed the HP ESX SNMP Agents, then HP should be providing the MIBs.

Log a support case for HP to track them down or requestion this to be address by your HP Account Manager.

Jov
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your reply.
I just downloaded and installed the hpmgmt-8.0.0-vmware3x.tgz from the HP site.
Do I have to license anything?

Thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'm confused by the two posts. The first says you've downloaded & installed the HP Agents. The second says you've just pulled down version 8.0.0 which is a very old version of the agents.
Version 8.30 was recently released for ESX 3.5.

What version of HPSIM? Typically HP SIM has the VMware MIBs installed. You can download a MIB update kit, there is an 8.30 MIB update kit available.

What version of ESX?
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

Sorry I must have missed something. I installed the agents on our ESX from this file: hpmgmt-8.3.0-vmware3x.tgz

We are using ESX 3.5 and I just updated our HPSIM to version 5.3 with SP1. I also downloaded and installed the HP SIM MIB update package 8.3 from the HP site.

Still, I receive this generic unregistered trap from our ESX servers:

Event description: A genericUnregistered trap signifies that a system has sent a trap to the management server for a MIB that has not yet been compiled. Try compiling any MIBs from the vendor for this system to obtain additional information. See Details for more information.

cpqGenEntOIDStr: 1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.4
cpqGenTrapID: 6
cpqSpecTrapID: 2

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Odd, that doesn't look as though it should come from an HP Server.
No possibility of duplicate IP addresses are there?
If you click on the server name and then go to the Events Tab, is that where you see the event listed?
What's the make / model of the server?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The only other thing I can determine is that is a shutdown event.
Just wondering if it's coming from a switch?
sdb_2
Regular Advisor

The event indeed shows up at a shutdown. Comes from an ESX server, which is an HP BL460C.

In the event, the event originator mentioned is our ESX server, so I don't think it comes from a switch. Is it possible that this is an event ESX sends itself?
pgarr
Frequent Advisor

Thin its from base snmp agent on th esx, part of net-snmp pacakge. I think its just the trap send when snmpd is stopped/started/restarted.