Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751979 Members
4657 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: getting HBA information in HP SIM

gerrie_1

getting HBA information in HP SIM

I need to discovery the HBA card detail information using HP SIM for reporting and hardware support calls, i also need the rotational speed of hard disks in a server. Is this possible for HP SIM to discover?
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

By using the SMH yes, HBA info can be found at, Home->Storage->External Storage Connections.

Local Disk speeds can be found under the specific controller.
But you will not be able to track down to disks served via the HBA's.

From the HPSIM Reports you can list the model number of the disk - HP can use that for speed etc.
It will depend on how you've integrated the storage served via the HBA's into HPSIM as to what you'll see there. But I've yet to see device information from that. For a SAN infrastructure you may want to look at what HPCC can offer.
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

SMI-S providers are also available to give detailled infos.

download available here :

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/smisproviders/windows_provider.pdf

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Peter Lung

Hi Folks,

So, for the SMI-S solution, it can see the HBA info in SIM or SMH?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Peter
Ervinck Kevin
Valued Contributor

With SMI-S you can display your MSA/EVA into HPSIM, it won't change anything in your SMH.

However it is still unclear for me if you'll receive alerts from the SMI-S provided page in HPSIM, or if you still need a server attached to the SAN via a HBA. (alerts being sent from the SMH).
gerrie_1

how does this SMI and everything works together.
Peter Lung

Hi Gerrie,

As far as I know, SMI-S is a provider which will provide all the stored info of a storage(or HBA)on request.
I will try to install the SMI-S provider to my HBA later this week and will update you what I can see.

Regards,
Peter
Peter Lung

Hi Folks,

Some update.

For the SMI-S, first it need to be installed on the client machine. Then configure the SIM with the access right. There are some bugs here. Even the username and password is correct, it just failed to authenticate. Finally, I need to update the username and password on both SIM and the client to make it work.

When I try to get more detail reports on it. The SIM failed to start again and hold on the attached screen.

Regards,
Peter
Tim Hugo

I understand that you can get the HBA info from SMH. I'm specifically after the World Wide Port Name (WWPN) but considering that we have over 500 servers on the network, it will take me a while to find a particular WWPN. It is possible for SIM to get this information (that way I can quickly search the database for a particular WWPN and identifiy the server it is on)?