Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748255 Members
3932 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: host ip address changed, how to update hpsim..

SOLVED
Go to solution
matd

host ip address changed, how to update hpsim..

we recently migrated a dchp scope and some hosts got new ip addresses. HPSIM is reporting them as down because it's looking for them on their old address.
is there a way to update the address in insight manager?
i'd like to keep the historical data, so i don't want to blow the host away and have it rediscovered.
is there a way to do this?
8 REPLIES 8
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor
Solution

You can't do that in SIM 4 or 5 like it was possible in HP IM 7. Newer version, less functionalities ?
You must delete the host and re-discover it.
Jimmy Rueedi
Frequent Advisor

does "Options - Identify Systems" not work?

Best regards

Jimmy
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

No, this option identifies the system type, model ... but does not change the IP address
suzan maxey
Frequent Advisor

I don't think you have a choice. In my experience, I've always had to delete the device from SIM and then re-discover it.

Joseph Martin_1
Occasional Contributor

This problem is not solved. Losing the history on a device due to an IP address change is not acceptable in our environment.

We've been doing the same thing here recently and currently we're running SIM 4.1 and SIM 5.?. On the 4.1 if we leave the systems with changed IPs alone SIM eventually picks up the new IP (I've seen it take anywhere from 5 minutes to 7 days). Since we're in the middle of building up our 5.x SIM I have not had the patience to wait do have just deleted and re-added.

MJ
David Libby_4
Regular Advisor

Guys, you could use the command mxnode... how I hear you ask? Well, mxnode allows you to export/import node info to and from XML files.

On HP-UX it works... can't speak for Windows but check out all the mx* commands.

If you have the time and not too many nodes, export the nodelist to XML....

========================
mxnode -lf node > list.xml
========================

...edit the IP addresses on the relevant hosts in 'list.xml' and re-insert with...

=======================
mxnode -m [-p] -f filename [-w]

--Modify and/or Identify node(s) from XML file (accepts addition or modification of any/all MPO data in XML)
============================

That should do it...
Cheers,
Dave

I finally figured out how to get SIM to update itself when a server has changed its IP address. I log into the server that has the new IP and send a generic test trap.

SIM pretty much picks up the change immediately. (I should say to be more clear that SIM launchs a discovery on this trap and once it processes the discovery/identify task SIM will update the info).

I also had a server recently change names. I let it sit for a few days and SIM finally updated itself with the new name. I have not tried the above snmp test trap to see if this would work the same but I suspect it would.

MJ