Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753623 Members
5690 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how do you get SIM agents to repeatedly send out traps when something is wrong?

Rob Bavcevich
Valued Contributor

how do you get SIM agents to repeatedly send out traps when something is wrong?

Hi

We have HPSIM agents on most of our servers, which forward alerts to the SIM manager and then onto OMu and finally end up as System Inicdents in HPSD. This works well for alerts from SIM only IF the SIM agents are restarted.

When the SIM Agent is restarted it picks up any issues and sends them on to the SIM management server.

I have found that the SIM agents never send out a detected issue more than once unless the agent is restarted (or the box is restarted).

This is an issue for us because SIM was in place well before OMu was introduced, hence there were quite a few failures that were already reported to the SIM server, and they never get repeated, so OMu will never know taht anything is wrong.

Is there a way to get failure events sent out as traps repeatedly - say on a weekly basis until its resolved?

If not i guess we could restart the agent every week, but that would definately be my second choice.

Any help Appreciated (and points given),

thanks,
Rob.
1 REPLY 1
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: how do you get SIM agents to repeatedly send out traps when something is wrong?

Then something is wrong. HP SIM sends an alert when the issue happens. It will resend an alert if the agents are restarted and the condition still exists.
It doesn't continue to send alerts.
There's no way I know of to get it to resend alerts. For this reason I run a weekly job to pick up disks that are more than 80% full as the alerts are sometimes overlooked when they happen and the weekly report acts as a reminder.