1752785 Members
6029 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp sim vmware esx virtual machine traps

Rob Mokkink
Advisor

hp sim vmware esx virtual machine traps

I want to monitor if a virtual machine is powerd on or off on a esx server in hp insight manager.

I now only monitor the esx host itself with hp sim.
I use virtualcenter to send emails when a virtual machine startup or goes down.
But we want to use one platform for all of this.

So when i want to monitor virtual machines on the esx server, i have to enable the vmware-snmpd service with snmpsetup.sh connect

And the load the esx mib's on hp insight manager server.

Is that the right procedure?

We also install the MOM agent on the virtual machines to monitor for low disk space etc.
But we really look for a good management pack that accept traps from virtual center.

Anyone with experience with this setup.
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I haven't got Virtual Centre installed here yet but that might provide the best single management point to send on SNMP Traps.

have you installed the HP Agents for ESX, that will alert for the ESX issues, low space etc. if you set the thresholds.

I do get "loss of heartbeat" alerts sent to HPSIM, I'm not too sure what generates those, they may come via HP's VMM which we also use.

HPSIM can accespt traps from anywhere, what is also required is the MIB to decode those traps.
In VC 2, you should find those in;
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter 2.0\MIBS
Those MIBS can be copied to the HPSIM Server and compiled in using the MCompile and MXMIB utilities, go to the following page for further info.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html
Rob Mokkink
Advisor

Hi Rob,

We hp insight manager agents installed.
If you use the subagent vmware-snmpd this service will send vmware related traps to HP SIM.

But i want to monitor the virtual machines.

Whenever a virtual machine goes down, i have to be notified.

At the project i am currently in we don't have virtual center as well.

At a othe project we used VC with mom and a management pack.

NEETI TOLIA
Frequent Advisor

Maybe VMM could help you out, VMM creates event for VM's when they are started and stopped ofcourse using VMM. SIM can then be used to send alerts.
Rob Mokkink
Advisor

That is installed on the hp sim server.
But i really like to use hp sim without vmm.

MOM has to take over that part.
CA1458503

I am running HP SIM v5.1 and installed the 7.6 Insight Agents on our ESX servers only (V2.5 and V3) ...no VMM agent is installed, but I get notified when any of our VMs are shut down.
Rob Mokkink
Advisor

Problem was fixed.
Them HP SIM admin, forgot to enable the MIB's for vmware.
RedLimey
Advisor

I've got hpsim v5.2 up and running. I've also got ESX v3.5 Hosts (loaded with v7.9.1 mgmt agents) where its Windows guests are reporting to the HPSIM server but not showing the System Type and OS Name.

I've taken the MIBS from an ESX Host and 'compiled' (mcompile) them to generate a CFG file for each.

I've taken the resulting CFG files and run mxmib to import them, however a couple are giving errors:

VMWARE-TRAPS-MIB.CFG gives:- Error reading CFG: MIB node has no parent Line: 14
VMWARE-VMKERNEL-MIB.cfg gives:- Error reading CFG: MIB node has no parent Line: 12

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a step or two?

Thanks in advance,
Red
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It's better to open a new thread than add to an old one.
As a summary, for ESX 3.5 you'll need to open port 2301 in the ESX firewall and then rerun the discovery task before identification works correctly.
Search through the forum as there's an item on that.