4835 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpsmh and other hp tools not detecting hardware on SLES10

Alex kamenik
Occasional Contributor

hpsmh and other hp tools not detecting hardware on SLES10

Hi,

I've been trying to get the System Management Homepage to work on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10, x86.

None of the agents installed detect any harware. cpqacuxe and hpadu don't detect any controllers. The hpacucli (command line) utility does not detect the controller either. Obviously the server works and is using the controller.

The Homepage says at the top right corner:

"System Model: NULL".

Under "System Information" "General Information" looks like this:

Product: N/A
Operating System: N/A
Server Role: N/A
Machine ID (System Board): N/A
Expansion Bus: ISA

But the "Description" section lists the operating system info correctly.

The OS supplied utility hwinfo can see the system info correctly, including serial numbers etc.

I didn't have any problems with SLES9. I have apparmor disabled on SLES10. I've had the same problem on SLES10 GA, SP1 and SP2 but not on any of the SLES9 releases.

I'm using the latest versions of hpsmh etc:

cpqacuxe-8.10-2.noarch.rpm
hp-health-8.1.1-14.sles10.i386.rpm
hp-smh-templates-8.1.1-19.noarch.rpm
hp-snmp-agents-8.1.1-22.sles10.i386.rpm
hpacucli-8.10-2.noarch.rpm
hpadu-8.10-4.noarch.rpm
hpdiags-8.1.5-311.linux.i586.rpm
hpsmh-2.1.15-210.i386.rpm

I have the same problem on all my SLES10 boxes, that are connected to the MSA1500cs controller (latest version active/active firware) via a HP branded Brocade fibre switch (also latest firmware installed). The servers are ML350G3, ML350G4, ML350G5 and ML380G5 units. All servers have up to date firmware for all components, including the HBAs.

However a DL185 server, which is not connected to the SAN, running also SLES10SP2, works fine with hpsmh. It's using a P400 controller with local SATA and SAS disks.

The only way for me to configure the SAN, is to use a HP bootable CD which includes ACU and ADU and boot it on one the servers. The CD works on all the servers.

I conclude the problem is SLES10 related, maybe has something to do with the SAN.

I'm unable to test SLES10 on the same servers without the SAN, as the servers don't have any hard drives themselves and boot directly from the SAN.

What am I missing? Is there some way I could get a useful error message to fix this issue?

Regards,
Aleksander
5 REPLIES 5
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

Hi,
we have the same problem with the new hp-snmp-agents running on SLES 10 x86_64. The old hpasm agents are working fine :(
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

You have to install the
hp-smh-templates packages. Afterwards everthing should work fine!
Alex kamenik
Occasional Contributor

# rpm -q hp-smh-templates
hp-smh-templates-8.1.1-19

Still doesn't work.
edi_4
Advisor

Hi -
If you are using ACU on an x86_64 system to configure fibre channel storage through
an Emulex fibre channel host bus adapter, you must install the 32-bit version of libnl.so.

I did it using Yast. The package is located on SLES10-SP2-CD1.
I cann see MSA1000 now.......

Edi!
Alex kamenik
Occasional Contributor

If you are using ACU on an x86_64 system to configure fibre channel storage through
an Emulex fibre channel host bus adapter, you must install the 32-bit version of libnl.so.

I'm using a 32bit version and the libnl.so library is installed.

Still no luck getting any of the HP management tools to work.