5073 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

hpsmh heartbleed

Alwin Warringa
Occasional Contributor

hpsmh heartbleed

Hi,

We discovered that hpsmh (version 7.2.2-8) is vurnerable for the OpenSSL Heartbleed problem on tcp port 2381, when will HP fix this issue? Is it possible to manual patch the embedded openssl?

Alwin.

P.S. This trhead has been moevd from ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum. - Hp forum moderator

21 REPLIES 21
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Re: hpsmh heartbleed

Hello,

this would interest me too!

I've read in the Revision history of SMH for Windows, that the last update to openSSL was with HP SMH version 7.3.0.9 in which OpenSSL got updated to version 1.0.1e.

According to the OpenSSL Security Advisory (https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140407.txt) the "heartbleed" is fixed in version 1.0.1g.

HP can you please provide us information about a release of a fixed HP SMH?

Thank you!

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

They released a security bulletin now which is available here: http://alerts.hp.com/r?2.1.3KT.2ZR.11MyKG.KUeOn0..N.ewLY.8RKW.bW89MQ%5f%5fDCTOFQR0

(No information yet about a release of a fixed version)

beermaster

I was able to patch the service with a non-vulnerable openssl obtained from Red Hat rpms:

openssl-1.0.1e-16.el6_5.7.x86_64.rpm

openssl-devel-1.0.1e-16.el6_5.7.x86_64.rpm

It is necessary to extract the binary, libraries and creating the necessary symlinks:

/opt/hp/hpsmh # ll bin/openssl

-rwxr-xr-x 1 czkccz adminux 521472 Apr 15 10:00 bin/openssl

/opt/hp/hpsmh # ll lib/libssl.so*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        16 Apr 15 10:06 lib/libssl.so -> libssl.so.1.0.1e

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        16 Apr 15 10:06 lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 -> libssl.so.1.0.1e

-rwxr-xr-x 1 czkccz adminux 441112 Apr 15 10:01 lib/libssl.so.1.0.1e

/opt/hp/hpsmh # ll lib/libcrypto.so*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root         19 Apr 15 10:09 lib/libcrypto.so -> libcrypto.so.1.0.1e

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root         19 Apr 15 10:09 lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 -> libcrypto.so.1.0.1e

-rwxr-xr-x 1 czkccz adminux 1950976 Apr 15 10:08 lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.1e

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root         19 Apr 15 10:10 lib/libcrypto.so.10 -> libcrypto.so.1.0.1e

/opt/hp/hpsmh #

I ran the script (https://github.com/noxxi/p5-scripts/blob/master/check-ssl-heartbleed.pl) to check and indicated that it is no longer vulnerable.

# /etc/init.d/hpsmhd start

Starting hpsmhd ..                                                                                                                          done

# ./ssl-hearbleed-check.pl -s 127.0.0.1:2381

...ssl received type=22 ver=0x301 ht=0x2 size=77

...ssl received type=22 ver=0x301 ht=0xb size=968

...ssl received type=22 ver=0x301 ht=0xe size=0

...send heartbeat#1

no reply - probably not vulnerable

#

I hope it will be useful, while a new hpsmh version is released.

Regards

Sergio Ramirez

GNU/Linux Team

HP Enterprise Services México 

--
Sergio Manuel Ramirez Martinez
GNU/Linux Team
HP Enterprise Services México
AUS-1032
Frequent Visitor

Do we have any procedure for windows systems?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello people,

I've updated the SMH for a Windows 2008 R2 server to the new version 7.3.2.1.

Now i get a timeout on the System Management homepage. I used the VCA 7.2.0.0 and this version becomes unresponsive with the new SMH. I had to update to the latest VCA. That version has the bug that you can't update the Diskfirmware. HP advised me to uninstall the VCA since HPSUm is the new way to update instead of VCA. So HP is leaving VCA. So i've just posteded this message to let you all know.

Kind regards,

Andrew Haak

Kind regards,

Andrew
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your information!

Are you aware of any other bugs from the newest VCA except the harddisk firmware issue?

We'd like to have it installed anyway on the systems, so you have a overview of installed firmware/driver/software on one page... (unless we'll have rolled out HPSUM on every system)

Thanks and regards,

mikj

Please be aware that the 32 bit Windows 7.3.2.1 version of the patch breaks the HP smh, the service starts but is not listening on 2381

smhstart_err.log show it cannot load the php5apache2.so module

sungminjin
Occasional Advisor

mikj , I think I installed this on a 32bit windows 7.3.2.1 version and now when I try to open up  https://localhost:2381   i get a page can not be displayed ...  are you having same issue as me ?

I installed this on my windows 2003 standard version.

thanks.