5891 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO Configuration menu missing in SIM console

Steven Laux
Frequent Advisor

iLO Configuration menu missing in SIM console

Hello.
I have been looking at ways to change DNS settings multiple iLOs though some type of automated process. (script, tool, etc.)

After reading some of the HP documentation on iLOs, it says the settings can be changed through HP SIM. I looked through every menu and could not find it. I then starting looking at the SIM documentation. It clearly states that there should be a Management Processors menu item under the Configure menu.
Below is just one of many examples from the SIM help pages on my SIM 5.1 SP1 server.

"To configure the LDAP service:

Select Configure - Management Processor - HP Integrity and HP 9000 iLOLDAP Settings. The LDAP Settings page appears.

Select target management processors and click [Next]. See Managing with tasks - Creating a task for information on selecting targets. The Step 2: Enter LDAP directory settings page appears."

Has anyone else tried to use the Management Processor menu item and found it missing? Is there a way to fix it so it appears?

Thanks,
Steve
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Do you have the HP 9000 servers? Or are you trying to configure ILO for servers like Proliants?

If the latter there's a couple of utilities available from HP.
Search for the utilities; cpqlocfg and hponcfg

Both utilities can be found by drilling down from;
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
select the OS and look for Lights Out Management software.
Steven Laux
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response.

I don't have HP 9000 servers but the iLO2 documention I'm reading says you can configure these through SIM. The HP SIM help makes it sound that way as well.

The iLO2 doc says you can use cpqlocfg though SIM to manage multiple iLOs at the same time.

From my understanding of the documentation I have read, I believe the Proliant iLOs are supposed to be manageable through SIM as well as the HP 9000 iLOs. It doesn't make sense that only the HP 9000 iLOs would be manageable but the more prevalent Proliant iLOs would not be.

Thanks again,
Steve
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

From memory, the HP 9000 section included Management Processors. I don't know if these are the same as the ILO's in HP Proliants but I suspect not.

The documentation isn't clear, well I think it's just plain confusing, but I think the section on Management Processors only relates to HP 9000 & Integrity servers.

If like me you have Proliants and ILO's then your config options are the utilities I've described above.
Either that or we've both got broken HPSIM set ups, but I've also been through this with another poster. So it's not just us!

So, I don't believe you'll find the menu. I do think the documentation or the use of the phrase Management Processor might be better described.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I also have all ProLiant servers and the SIMS management processor configuration options are not available.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I also have all ProLiant servers and the SIMS management processor configuration options are not available. The menu is not missing. Rob is correct, it is only for the HP 9000 and Integrity servers.
Steven Laux
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one looking for this feature.

Rob, I agree the documentation is rather confusing at times. They tend to use the term management processor rather generically which leads you to believe they mean all management processors.

I think its a big oversight on HPs part to only include management capabilities for HP9000 and Intergity servers. If I had to guess, I'd say there are far more Proliant servers out there than the other types of servers.

Is there a way to submit feedback or enhancement requests to the HP SIM team?

Thanks again,
Steve
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yep, but it's probably tricky when they're integrating management capabilities for different server types and come across the same terms used for different devices.
It's compounded by the fact there did used to be a menu section for managing ILO's. Don't think it did that much though. Might be nice if the functionality from the ILO config utilities could be accessed via HPSIM and jobs scheduled etc.