Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1747985 Members
4872 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: is HP SIM able to alert upon disk / cpu utilization?

SOLVED
Go to solution
lshu
Frequent Advisor

is HP SIM able to alert upon disk / cpu utilization?

assuming the latest version of HP SIM...
or can we create an event like that in HP SIM?

thanks
Lorne
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That comes from the agents, so assuming you're running HP servers with the agents installed you can set thresholds on disk & cpu usage.

The agent then sends an snmp trap to hpsim.
lshu
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your info.
Could you provide some details as to
1. is it done at SIM server or managed system?
2. how to configure it in SIM?
3. I tried to look it up in the auto event handling, but there is no such event that I can find close to what I want. Am I in the right direction?

thanks a lot,
Lorne
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

It's done at the managed server.
So go to the the System Management Homepage for a server. Under the Operating System section there are a number of options;
Logical Device Busy
processors
server
file space used

Click on any of these and you should be presented with a screen that has some bars and a grey triangle. You should be able to click the triangle and drag it to the right, twice, once for a red triangle, once for a yellow.
These are the thresholds.
Set them as you think appropriate.

Under windows services for the SNMP Service properties ensure that under the Trap Tab the HPSIM server is entered along with a suitable community name.

For event handling you can just create an event handling task for all critical and major events, this will pick up these.
If you wanted to just report on these you'd need to select a specific event type - the threshold events are split between proliant threshold events and proliant operating system events.
lshu
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob,

I tried to find the place you told me about setting thread for utilization but it is not found on the SMH (2.x). Could you send me a screen shot and SMH version? This refers to

"So go to the the System Management Homepage for a server. Under the Operating System section there are a number of options;
Logical Device Busy
processors
server
file space used"

thanks
Lorne
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

At home now so can't supply a screenshot.
What version of the agents are you running?

The above should be available from the first page in the SMH.
lshu
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob,

I don't have direct access to the system now. I think it is the latest version of the agent (SMH?).

When you can, could you send me your swlist for the related products and I will have someone check them out for me? As well as the screen shot?

thanks
Lorne

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Lorne,
Here's a shot of the SMH for one of our servers. You can either use HPSIM to get to the SMH or browse directly, e.g. https://targetserver:2381
You should be able to logon with domain\username credentials.

On the screen there's a section called Operating System. If you click on that it will just focus on those options. Most of the options listed have some kind of threshold setting available.

We're currently on PSP 7.90, PSP 8.00 is available.
lshu
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob,

I think these options are only available for Proliant servers or Windows OS. The rp or rx servers with HP-UX do not have these options in SMH.

If you know other ways of implementing the alerting through SMH or HP SIM, please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Lorne