1752513 Members
4951 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: memory leak in mxdomainmgr

Agnem
Occasional Advisor

memory leak in mxdomainmgr

I am running Insight Manager 5.0 with SP5 on a Windows 2003 Std R2 server with 2GB of ram. I'm seeing a memory leak in the mxdomainmgr service that eventually consumes the machine, and I have to stop and restart the service to get it working again. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint any particular events or updates that marked the begining of this problem, because I sloughed it off as a fluke the first few days that it happened. In general, I get about 5 hours of run time before I have to restart it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. - Mel
10 REPLIES 10
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Agnem,

You may want to check this!!!!
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00701425&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Also try this!!!!

Remove the checkmark from "Send Authentication Trap" in the SNMP properties of the CMS.

The Send Auth Trap feature is for packet authentication verification. The packet does get through, but the authentication return doesnt come back, resulting in thousands of failed retries. Since this is the CMS, that isnt needed, so it's okay to uncheck it. Dont forget to restart SNMP afterward.

Hope this works!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
Agnem
Occasional Advisor

Wow! Thanks for the great tip! Looks like that may be it. I'll post back once I verify the problem is fixed.
Agnem
Occasional Advisor

OK. I did what you suggested and it DID help, but it did not eliminate the problem. What I am seeing now, is a much slower memory leak, but a leak just the same. With the virtual machine config file changed, I went from about 4 hours of run time to maybe 6 or 8. I've also tried stopping the virtual machine management service (it's stopped right now in fact) and that doesn't seem to make a difference, so I guess the change to the config file took the VM mgmnt service out of the picture. Any other ideas? - Mel
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Agnem,

Had the same issue on the CMS,had to re-install SIM. :(
Atm,there's no probable fix for the memory leak in mxdomainmgr.

SRH
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Agnem,

Just found information today.
Is it a SQL Database?
If yes,could you check if SQL DB was querying SIM(could be any instance).

If the above is happening,uncheck "Send Authentication Traps" under SNMP properties both on CMS and Managed node.

Hope it works.

SRH
Agnem
Occasional Advisor

The box is running MSDE SQL (the one that comes with SIM). As for the SNMP trap setting, where does one go in the SIM management console to look for that? I can't find it. I know the bulk of the machines being monitored are not configured to send traps. Thanks.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

For both CMS and Managed Node.

1.services.msc.
2.Open SNMP service properties
3.It should be here.

SRH
Agnem
Occasional Advisor

Ok. I follow what your saying. I thought you meant it was something in CMS. I didn't have any traps set, but I did have some old community names that didn't belong in there anymore, so I took them out.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

1.Was SQL DB querying SIM?
2.Did you uncheck "Send Authentication Traps"?

SRH