108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: monitoring services

SOLVED
Go to solution
richard wallis
Advisor

monitoring services

Hi there, is it possible to monitor services such as IIS in Insight Manager 5+?
9 REPLIES 9
richard wallis
Advisor

I have tried to compile and register the mibs using the instructions from the help file. The commands run through successfully but when viewing registered MIBS, the inetsrv.mib is not displayed.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The agent can send a trap based on start or stop of any service. For the device in question, go to Control Panel --> HP Management Agents --> Process Monitor to select the services that interest you and what the trap option is.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"inetsrv.mib" does not contain any trap definitions and so isn't of any use to HP SIM. That MIB instruments counters that can be used to collect data using SNMP, but that is not a capability of HP SIM as it is basically a hardware manager.
richard wallis
Advisor

Hi, ah yes, I see what you mean. Didn't realise you could do that. By selecting the service and then stop, I presume this will be sending me a trap when this event occurs, is this correct?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, that is correct.
richard wallis
Advisor

Although, I have setup the process monitoring as suggested above I am still not sure if this is working. I have configured a service to be monitored and to alert me when this service has stopped. I then stopped the service on the server but received no alerts. What should I be seeing in Insight Manager?
J.Kopp
Advisor

Hi Richard,
please check SNMP service enabled on your IIS machine (trap destination should be your SIM server). Also your IIS should be discovered in sim.
You can check trap sending: open SMH on your IIS machine > Settings > SNMP & Agen Settings > Send test trap. By problems doublecheck firewall port 162 is opened.
Regards,
Juergen
richard wallis
Advisor

Hi, i have tried to simplify testing and used a local machine to test this. I have set it up as requested as above and it worked, thanks for your suggestions.
Juergen.Kopp
Advisor

you are welcome.

PS: please don't forget to assign forum points :-)