1751860 Members
5449 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mxdomainmgr.exe CPU Utilization @ 98%

Ali_21
Advisor

mxdomainmgr.exe CPU Utilization @ 98%

During January 2004, I read a couple of posts at this forum regarding the problems with mxdomainmgr.exe process with its extremely high CPU and Memory utilization.

But unfortunately none of the posts included a solution for this issue!

Is this a HP SIM bug?
If YES, when will HP release a patch?
Or do we have to wait for the HP SIM 4.1 release?

Brief description of the mxdomainmgr.exe problem:

I see mxdomainmgr.exe continue to use 90-100% CPU utilization continuously . Is this expected?

The mxdomainmgr.exe CPU utilization does not increase or decrease when you run Software Status Polling, Hardware Status Polling or Data Collection.

Please see the attached screenshot, taskmgr.gif

HP SIM is installed on a Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 machine with:

- Intel Pentium (r) III processor at 1.5GHz
- 2 Gig RAM
- Running Windows 2000 Server SP4
- 130 devices monitored by HP SIM
59 REPLIES 59
Tonny Andersson

I can tell that the very same problem remain om HP SIM 4.1...
Sen_6
Super Advisor

i encounter tis problem too.
Daniel_270

same here
Dean_62
Advisor

CPU utilization isn't an issue here, but the amount of RAM this process uses keeps creeping up throughout the day. We have to restart the service in order to correct. We are running HPSIM slightly under the recommended specs HP asks for the program.

Generation 1 DL360, 2 1.0MHz, 750MB RAM.

Dean

I have encountered the same problems.
But there seems to be a link with the hardware status polling, esp. in segmented networks with many subnets, which is executed every 5 minutes by default. I thought that HPSIM would only poll the devices that are already discorvered and not the whole range?
Anyway, I enlarged the polling interval from every 5 minutes to 30 minutes and it seems that the performance peeks occur during polling.

Regards,
NS
Chris Nicholls

I also have the same problem, we currently have 212 DCs (35000+ Users) being monitored by Insight 7 SP2.3 with no problems, but we our upgrading our network to AD 2003 and removing all the old NT4 domains and going down to about 65 servers.
I have just done the design and installation docs for HP SIM 4.1 which will be based on a DL380 G3 with the works but I get the same problem as everyone else, the processor usage varies and isn't a major problem at the moment but has been over the last week. My main problem is that I came in this morning and the PageFile was 2.3GB even though the machine has 4GB RAM.
It normally idles at about 500MB which is still not great!

When I find a solution I will post ASAP.
Martin Harrison_1
Frequent Advisor

We have the same issue. The mxdomainmgr is taking huge amounts of memory if the server is up for a couple of months.

Eventually we have to restart it because it takes up ALL of the memory in the server.

HP needs to investigate this. I hope HPSIM 4.2 will fix it. (need to upgrade from 4.0 badly!)
Audun Wangen

I had the same problem and have just upgraded to HP SIM 4.2 and the CPU utilization is still 98% for mxdomainmgr.exe. Not all the time though. But sometimes for about 10- 15 minutes.

I am running HP SIM on a DL360 G1 with 1 GB RAM.
Alfred_21

Sadly, I'm having the same problem as well and I'm running 4.2. What a way to start the new year!