Re: mxdomainmgr.exe CPU Utilization @ 98%

Pablo Itt├й
Occasional Advisor

Try checking if snmp service is up and running
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

I have been running SIM 4.1 for several months without seeing this problem, but earlier this week I upgraded (uninstalled/installed) to 4.2 and now I have started seeing this problem too.

I don't particularly like doing a "me too" posting, but if someone from HP sees that plenty of people running 4.2 are still experienceing the problem I thought (hoped) they might do something about it?

BTW, I don't know where the rest of you guys are from, but trying to get to talk to the correct HP support department in the UK about these type of products is harder that looking for a needle in a haystack.

Please post if anyone finds a solution/work-around.

Regards,

Gary
Floris Somers
Occasional Advisor

...me too!

Upgraded from 4.0 to 4.2 and I'm still experiencing this problem. Restarting the server is often the only way to stop this. Not exactly what I need to do on a MC system.
Scott B. Heasley

I am new to the whole Insight Manager/HP SIM scene, so if you'll forgive my naivete...
I had an unused Proliant 3000 which I setup as a file server running Windows 2000 server. The machine has 1.18 Gb RAM so I also set it up as a 2nd DC. After the setup was done, I was only using ~250 Mb RAM. So I installed HP SIM. When the install was complete, I also noticed huge numbers on CPU usage. By playing around with the process list, I was able to get the msdomainmgr.exe to calm down. The exact details are fuzzy, but I'm sure that I looked at the set affinity right click option on both the cpqsrhmo.exe and the mxdomainmgr.exe in the process list. Mind you that I didn't change the setting on either and in fact I got an access denied on the cpqsrhmo.exe. The end result is that the system idle process is now back to a steady 97-98 and when restarted after about 7-10 minutes. I now get a good cpu utilization after one processor pegs during that time. The processor that pegs alternates between starts. While I can live with this, I am still concerned the the RAM usage. The system currently rides between 700Mb and 950Mb Depending on what I'm setting up or running at the time. Hope this helps.
Derek Parmenter
Frequent Advisor

I am having the problem as well, I have been hunting the forum. I am running an ML530 on Windows 2000, additionally is a DC for AD. It is a PIII with a 1.1GB Ram.

The server is managing 60ish servers, mostly on remote servers, through a 2Mbit connection. The process runs high when doing software version control polling, data collection etc.

However, I find that sometimes it seems to get stuck and just keeps the utilisation high, for hours, even days.

I have seen another thread.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=391629

Which suggests turning off the authentication trap, will help. Anybody have any other ideas.
Laurel Sales

I was having a problem - not with the CPU usage but with memory, service was just continually grabbing more memory.

as suggested by Pablo Itt├Г┬й I installed the SNMP service which has fixed it...

might be nice for HP to make this a prerequisite to installing
Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

I have Proliant PIII with 1GB RAM. When I restart server memory usage starts from 512 RAM. After one day memory usage reaches 1GB RAM:( I have SNMP installed but this is no help. This damn process utilizes all free memory:( And there is nothing more installed on this server, only SIM 4.2:(
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Just a quick update (for what it's worth...

My initial thoughts on this problem were that it happens when the computer has been running for quite some time. I don't believe that's the case now.

The machine that I've got SIM loaded on has been up and down quite a but recently (my doing) and this morning, I couldn't Remote Desktop onto it. When I went round to the machine, it wouldn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del and the disk activity light was flashing like billy-o.

I tried doing a remote shutdown from my domain controller, but that returned:
"Not enough server storage is available to process this command.(1130).

I've found the following posting on experts-exchange (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/WinNT_Networking/Q_10013711.html), but think that it may be a red herring and that the problem was that there were no free cpu cycles on the SIM server for my DC to get in and issue the shutdown command. I don't know, I might give it a go.

BTW, I had to forcibly shut the machine down by keeping my finger on the power button.

I've just spotted SIM 4.2 SP1 available for download at http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/download.html it's quite new (Feb 2005). Have any of you guys tried it?

Regards,

Gary
Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

I've downloaded SIM 4.2 with Sp1 few days ago and I'm trying it on a test machine with 1GB ram. What I can say - it eats memory like a monster:(
Latif Yahya_1
Advisor

Anyone found a solution for this yet?