1752622 Members
4377 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mxdomainmgr.exe CPU Utilization @ 98%

Rimvydas
Frequent Advisor

Last update: my SIM now uses 920MB of RAM, but this is constant and not increasing value. I hope that this will last for a longer time:)
Wayne Jolley

This is why I hate HP !

Not only has this thread been running for over a year and the problem is not fixed, but HP staff don't even have the courtesy to respond to issues on their own forums.

My advice - do what I am going to do ... convince budget controller to spend some money with a company that actually CAN do the job that is needed AND will fix the problems that they cause AND will respond to issues raised by the customer base !
Free HP software is worth EXACTLY the amount you paid for it !
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

I have seen four cases thus far, all SIM 4.0. That process is started every two minutes by the HP System Insight Manager service, and cripples the machine. So, stopping the HP SIM service is needed in during troubleshooting.

Resolution/Workaround

I have resolved three of them by removing the checkmark from "Send Authentication Trap" in the SNMP properties of the CMS. On one of the cases, this did not work, but the customer's server didn't meet the hardware requirements of SIM, so the case was not elevatable.

The Send Auth Trap feature is for packet authentication verification. The packet does get through, but the authentication return doesnt come back, resulting in thousands of failed retries. Since this is the CMS, that isnt needed, so it's okay to uncheck it. Dont forget to restart SNMP afterward.

Also do not forget to dothe following if you have SQL running on the same box.

Tune MSSQL and MSDE for low memory usage

├в Run Enterprise Manager. Right-click the SQL server ('local') and select 'Properties'.

├в Click the 'Memory' tab.

├в Set the maximum dynamic memory to a reasonable size of physical memory for your system. For example, use 250MB if you have 1GB RAM, 64MB if you have 512MB or les
Hector_31

I was having the same problem. I had to install snmp service and remove the checkmark from "Send Authentication Trap" in the SNMP properties.
Now it is working fine.
Cynthia Huang
Occasional Advisor

This problem is also occurring for me. I tried the SNMP and SQL recommendations and didn't have any luck. Hoping that HP might have a resolution or a patch by now, I called them directly. Unfortunately, all the support guy told me was that I need a faster server, minimum 1.5GHz. However, that can't be the problem if other people in this thread have much higher performing servers...
Lee J milam
Occasional Advisor

I found if I uninstall the old version and upgrade to SIM 4.2sp2, then go into the properties of the SNMP service and uncheck the "Send authenication Trap" on the Security page that it sems to behave much better.

Also make sure you have the latest Java.

And go into SIM and update the scheduled tasks to fit you needs, under Logs, you can further control this monster.

Just encountered the same problem :(
On a Proliant DL580 with 2 CPU's and 2GB RAM, the whole Systems is crawling now because mxdomainmgr uses nearly all cpu resources and after 3 days runnin also around 400mb+

besides that, sim 5.0 is installed ...
Operating system: Windows 2003
Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.0 - Windows
Build version: C.05.00.00.00
Build date: 2005-08-04 16:56
Darran Brown

Just wanted to add another notch to the number of people suffering with memory issues. I managed to sort cpu useage by reducing polling frequency and removing authentication trap as suggested above, thanks. (using SIM 5)
Keith Anderson_3

Hi,

I had this problem on SIM 5 on w2k3

Solved it by disabling the "Hardware status Polling for non Servers Task" and further reduced performance overhead by decreasing the default intervals on other tasks.

That may be of use...

Regards
joe zink

Had a very similar problem. This week we installed the current HP System Manager on our 15 servers. Our file server (about 1.3 terabytes) went to CPU usage of 100% and pretty much just sat there. - Not a good place to be for a primary fileserver.

After panicking, I shut down HP Insight Event Notifier, Foundation Agents, NIC Agent, and Server Agents. CPU went down to 2, 3, or 8%. Completely back to normal.
Very, very disappointing episode.