Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753751 Members
5384 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mxdomainmgr.exe is killing my server!

Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

mxdomainmgr.exe is killing my server!

I know there have been several threads regarding this subject in this forum, but I honestly haven't found an answer to my problem. I have no Authentication Traps enable on ANY server in my domain. I have disabled, for troubleshooting purposes, the snmptrap service. Still this mxdomainmgr.exe process keeps starting up and sucking all my CPU! Arrrrrggghhhhh! Anyone know what I can do to stop it, permanently or until I want it to run?
Thanks,
Kelly
8 REPLIES 8
Carlsberg
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kelly ,
have a look undet task&logs --> all scheduled tasks.

Could it be that one of your tasks is never finishing? ie it takes a long time to complete and the repeat period is too short?
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Hi,
I have only one scheduled task on this machine and that is to reboot it every night.
Thanks,
Kelly
Carlsberg
Frequent Advisor

Really?

So you don't have any tasks for hardware status polling , identification etc?

Just to be sure , I meant scheduled tasks in HP SIM , not the windows scheduled ( AT ) tasks.
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Well, all I can say is "DUH"! Sorry 'bout that! Yes, of course I do have tasks set up to do discovery. I think I have them set for very early morning hours. Before 5am.
Right now the server is down so I can get the partition extended. It's a virtual server and ran out of space.
I wish I could take a look at it now so I could be more specific regarding the tasks. It should be finished extending the partition by tomorrow so will be able to provide more info at that time.
Thanks for your patience!
Kelly
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Kelly,

What virtualization technology are you using? What is the configuration of the VM? How many systems have you discovered/are trying to manage? What OS are you running HP SIM on top of?

Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Hello,
It's running on Virtual Infrastructure Server, version 2.02. I hope that is what you are looking for. I really don't know much about virtual servers, my boss sets all vmware servers up. I monitor and discover 51 HP servers and it is running under a W2K3 SP1 OS.
Thank you,
Kelly
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

HP SIM can be run in a virtual machine on Virtual Infrastructure 3 (VMware ESX 3.x) only. The I/O overhead of prior versions is significant and will contribute to issues like you describe. Even in ESX 3.x, I don't recommend running HP SIM in a VM except in the smallest possible environments, which yours is. However, if you plan on growing the number of systems that HP SIM is going to manage, make sure to use the HP SIM sizer to determine the configuration of the physical or virtual host that will be the CMS.

http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Technical Support --> Sizer
Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Thank you. No, we have no plans on increasing the amount of servers that we're monitoring at this point. My boss also informs me that we are running ESX version 3.02