7366 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: mxdomainmgr.exe not listening on port 50000

Liam Dennehy
Occasional Contributor

mxdomainmgr.exe not listening on port 50000

Hi all

My HPSIM 6 installation has come through some changes, initially the hostname of the CMS changed (success), then the DB moved to another SQL Server (success), then the service account changes to a domain account (success).

Now I've tried to change the DB account to the same as the domain service account, permissions are correct, DB connection is successful. No obvious errors are reported, HP SIM reports a successful start, but never listens on port 50000.

I've tried another article (from 2007)'s suggestion of enabling WMI components, but these were always absent and everything ran fine. Log file attached if it is of any use.

Rolling back to local accounts (named the same and same passwords on the CMS and SQL servers) works, so it doesn't appear to be any dependency issue.
4 REPLIES 4
Liam Dennehy
Occasional Contributor

It would appear the problem starts at this point:
[JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null
org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.)

If I log in as the service account, connection succeeds using ODBC tool. Obviously, the manual username (database.props) or password (mxpassword.exe) method is at fault.

Thanks
Driskell

Did you fix this? We're having the exact same thing where everything seems to load but it doesn't listen.

database.props, database.admin and globalsettings.props have all being adjusted.

In Event Viewer we see that it is still trying to use the old username... Yet we've changed it in all three files.

Driskell

Turns out the wise men at HP don't tell you there is a THIRD file to edit, if you change the domain of the user that is used to access the database (such as change from domain user to local user).

By the time I worked this out I'd become pretty good at darts. Could hit the HP logo directly in the middle from 20 feet away. By the time I was done the paper with the logo was as holy as HP's documentation.

This is actually documented in the following PDF:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02047132/c02047132.pdf

This PDF states how to move the SQL 2005 database.

However I was looking at documentation about changing the username/password and got this:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_5_changing_the_SystemName.pdf

Which was for v5 and this is v6... So maybe that is where the gap is. There doesn't seem to be a v6 helpfile for this. And I guess the majority of guides out there for it are also v5 targeted.

The extra file to edit as shown in the first PDF is:

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy\hpsim-ds.xml

There is a line containing the following:

<connection-url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://DBSERVER:1433/Insight_v50_0_144834280;loginTimeout=20;domain=DOMAIN;instance=</connection-url>

This needs adjusting and saving and HP Insight Manager restarting and then it all works fine.

Apologies for resurfacing an old thread - I was enquiring for the previous posters resolution in case they had one - something I could not do with a new thread. And this was the top result on google when searching for the error message in the log file along with "HP SIM" at the beginning:

[JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null

So hopefully this will save someone some time.

schwengels
Advisor

Hello,

I had the exact same thing happen and I was also missing that last file that you found -

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\jboss\server\hpsim\deploy\hpsim-ds.xml

updating this file with the new DB location worked for me.

Thank you very much!!