I just installed a new server with the following Insight components:

Operating system: Windows 2003
Version: Systems Insight Manager 5.0 with SP2 - Windows
Build version: C.05.00.00.02
HP Performance Management Pack 4.0.1
HP Virtual Machine Management Pack 2.0.1
HP BladeSystem Integrated Manager 2.0
HP Server Migration Pack 2.0.1

It's a DL385 dual core, so it's got plenty of horsepower, and currently I just have the default install with about 45 discovered servers. The agents are still configured for the old server.

I'm seeing CPU utilization by pmptools.exe and pmp.exe taking up 90+% of one core, and 80% of the other. Is this normal? It seems like a lot to me. I was really hoping to have this server doing a bunch of other work but what's Insight going to consume when it actually starts monitoring these systems?
3 REPLIES 3
w8g_Rag
Advisor

Re: pmp.exe and pmptools.exe taking loads of CPU

What do you mean by the 'agents are still configured for the old server"?

In any case, No. This isn't normal. What's is the 'data collection interval' defined on the SNMP insight agents. You might want to increase the time to say 120 sec, which is a recommended number.
I work for HP
Kevin Gould
Occasional Contributor

I discovered the problem - the service account was granted admin privileges, but a GPO removed it from the administrators group, so it was getting multiple permission denied messages. It didn't log any eventlog messages however, so it was just chewing away as hard as it could, trying to create/access the files it wanted. If I was going to suggest a modification, it would be to put some throttling in the retries for accessing files to prevent crippling the system, and add some eventlog messages indicating that the service is having problems functioning. As it was, it just appeared as high utilization until I used Filemon to see what it was doing.

Thanks for the reply.
w8g_Rag
Advisor

Oh great! Let me see if I can reproduce this and suggest some ideas to fix this.
I work for HP