1753771 Members
4519 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem upgrading from 5.0sp4 to 5.1

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Support is working the case via the logged support calls, but I am wondering if this particular 'workaround' helps anyone else.

Thanks.
Alex  HU
Advisor

We had the same problem and the same error!

- We rerun the setup and finished it.
- rebooted the server.
- ran the mxinitconfig -a command and this fixed most of our problems. We are now running SIM 5.1

only problem i encountered now, is that data collection fails on almost every server.

Good luck too all who dare to upgrade :D
Tony Cresswell
Frequent Advisor

Ran the upgrade and it failed like everyone else's.

I've just changed the database.admin and database.props as advised to change the hp.Database.prepareSQL=0

Ran mxinitconfig.exe -a

Started Sim and I have my SIM 5.1 server with all my config and servers listed.

Could be blind luck or an excellent workaround! Who knows!

Thanks anyway
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I have been extremely hesitant to upgrade my SIMS server after reading of all the problems it seems to entail. I saw that to be DST compliant, I have to upgrade now. Since this is a more "crucial" upgrade now than most, I would have hoped that 5.1 would have been less problem-free than it seems to be!
Alex  HU
Advisor

We run our SIM server on on a virtual machine. only thing we have to do is clone our machine, update SIM and if it goes wrong (which it did both times) we just shut down the clone and start the other again.

Thanks to VM we had no real problem uppgrading SIM!
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi guys

Just to give you my input as well.
I ended up getting the same error as mentioned in the topic.

I also followed Ole Thomsens procedure and managed to finish the installation without any further problems.
So far my installation works fine after the upgrade.

One thing worth mentioning is that I got some problems upgrading the HP Performance Management Pack. It stopped with an error creating the database.
What I had to do was to remove the old database for PMP and then the upgrade process continued without problems.

/ThomasO
Dave Behler
Frequent Advisor

Darrin, your workaround worked for us. As usual you are the man!
AaronK
Frequent Advisor

Wow: Darrin's workaround worked for us too!!!
Thanks!
Aaron
CJS
Occasional Advisor

Well, same problem just endless dots........

Tried Darrin's workaround but still dots ......... Lots and Lots of dots .......

I am not looking forward to uninstalling and reconfiguring the server by hand, but unless I find some magical solution I will be doing just that.

The only difference, is my SQL db is 2005sp1.

Anyone else have any suggestions prior to my reinstall?
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Look in the log files under 'c:\' and see if this gives you any information to what might be going on. What is doing the '...'?

I'd log a support case, they might know off the top. Be sure and say "Insight Manager" or "Systems Insight Manager" for the voice recognition piece to get to the SIM specific support folks.