5394 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: "TCP/IP Protocol is not enabled for specific database server."

dale wheatley
Advisor

"TCP/IP Protocol is not enabled for specific database server."

Hi All,

I tried to install HP 6.x on my Windows 2008 Server. SQL 2005 is already installed. After clicking Next and selecting to Install and Use SQL Express, and entering the Administrator password. I get the error: "TCP/IP is not enabled for the specified database server. Please enable the TCP/IP protocol."

I went into the SQL Configuration and enabled TCP/IP. I also installed SQL 2008 Express. Neither of this actions fixed the problem.

Please advise.

-- Dale
10 REPLIES 10
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Does this mean that you already had SQL Express installed and you are trying to reuse an existing one for SIM's usage?
dale wheatley
Advisor

Yes.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

ahh, just so you know, we don't really support this and we have no clue how the previous app setup Express initially (you can tweak all kinds of things). So it may or may not work; looks like 'not' work unfortunately.
dale wheatley
Advisor

Ok, so what are my options then? How should I proceed? I just took the defaults when installing the application.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

During the SIM install, you are not getting the option to install SQL Express?
dale wheatley
Advisor

I guess I misstated what happened. SQL Express was already installed. So the option was to use the MICOSOFT#SSEE# (or something like that) as the database. When I tried to use the default choice that is when I received the error.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

hmm, maybe you have ISEE for warranty/support installed on that system? Basically, I think it might be trying to reuse a database versus creating a new one. Did you have SIM installed on this server before?
dale wheatley
Advisor

No I did not have it installed on the server before. After the initial error and during my troubleshooting I found a suggestion to install SQL 2008 Express on the machine. I tried that and it looks like the SIM software is still trying to use the 2005 database. I thought I had it working when I was able to choose the BKUPEXEC database (for backup exec). Of course now I am really confused because I don't understand how I could use another database for the SIM program. Anyway that allowed me to move on and I am now at that point where I installed it and then the program kind of disappeared. When I choose the menu items from the start menu it says the program doesn't exist. So I went to reinstall and it really didn't allow me to install any components.
TigerClaw
Occasional Visitor

I just enabled the IP protocol just like the error message said: TCP/IP protocol is not enabled for specified database server. Please enable the TCP/IP protocol

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378845.aspx 

Happy SIM