1753781 Members
7572 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Tape Drive Status Change" alerts from 7.0 Insight Agents

Michael Jay_2
Advisor

Hey, I did something different and was able to get rid of those annonying "Tape Drive Status Change" messages.

In addition to going in under Options-Events-SNMP Trap Settings and setting to "NO" the Enable Trap Handling for those two events I also changed both events to information and now we're NOT bothered!

BUT, I'm sure this is only because we've set out SIM server to not e-mail or page us for informational messages. I still think it should have worked regardless of the Severity setting, but I'll live with it.

MJ
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Hi Michael,

The "approved" workaround for this problem involves a change on the server, not in SIM. Open the "HP Management Agents" control panel, and on the Services tab, move "SCSI information" from "Active Agents" to "Inactive Agents."

This will stop monitoring of the SCSI subsystem on the server. The best solution, though, is to update the agents to 7.10.

- Steve
Michael Jay_2
Advisor

Seems kinda silly to me to
1) Have to reconfigure all the backup servers to deactivate the SCSI Information agent
and
2) Potentially miss out on other important scsi subsystem messages.

I like my way better but I wish I could get an answer as to why the snmp setting does not work the way I think it should.

MJ

Michael Maiolo
Occasional Advisor

Disabling the SCSI agent means that you will not be alerted if a disk in your system fails.. I know which I'd prefer!

Annette Jones_3
Advisor

Guys,

In the end, cause the traps are persistent and in the majority they are ignored, cause it's just busy tape libraries. I setup a managed task to clear the alerts.

If there is a problem with the library or drive it will manifest in other ways, hardware fault or software when loading/unloading tapes.
Ray Collins
Occasional Advisor

I use the exact same setup and use to get the exact same messages.Create a new task or modify your critical event handling task to reflect the following. Event category - Is not- Proliant Storage Events and type name is Tape Drive Status Change. I also did the same for Tape Library Door Open/Closed and Tape Library Status Change. This will filter out those events and you won't see them any more.
Nathan Gau
Occasional Advisor

I should note that the same problem seems to exist with the 7.4 agents, while my server with the 7.3 agents is not sending those traps.
Nathan Gau
Occasional Advisor

I wanted to add some additional information here as well. The tape backup servers that have only one backup drive attached to them do not have these errors at all. However, the server that has two tape drives configured on it receives these errors. This was said in an earlier post, but I think it may have been missed. I wonder if those of you who get this error on some of your servers have this condition as well. Any responses would be appreciated.