4453 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "The system cannot find the file specified" when updating drivers

(VJ)
Advisor

"The system cannot find the file specified" when updating drivers

Hi All

I've started PSP 7.80A deployment in my environment after extensive testing during which I did not experience any issues what so ever. I've also deployed to majority of production servers and again no problems except on one of them.

On this particular server PSP 7.80A was deployed by executing setup.exe file and not via HP SIM since the server I'm having problems with now is the HP SIM Server. Initiall deployment failed on following hardware driver and/or application upgrades:
- HP ProLiant Smart Array 5x and 6x Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003
- HP StorageWorks Fibre Channel Adapter Kit for the x86 QLogic Storeport Driver
- HP ProLiant Integrated Lights-Out Management Interface Driver for Windows
- HP NC-Series Broadcom Driver for Windows Server 2003
- HP Lights-Out OnLine configuration Utility for Windows Server 2003

After failed deployment the above hardware did not have required drivers installed or was disabled all together. Attempted to reapply PSP 7.80A with "Allow components to overwrite newer or up-to-date versions" option enabled however failed again with exactly the same error message.

Manually removed all components of PSP 7.80A from the system and rolled back to previous version of driver on all devices that failed to upgrade and attempted to upgrade driver(s) manually by executing only cpxxxxxx.exe file containing driver for each device, but again no luck. Installation would fail with following error message:

"Additional information:
Installation failed on at least one device. One of the devices may have been deleted through Device Manager and a reboot may be necessary to complete the driver installation for this device

Press the 'Close' button to exit Setup."

Simultaniously with the error message "Found New Hardware Wizard" window will appear with following error message:
"Cannot Install this Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:
"DEVICE NAME"

An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The system cannot find the file specified."

Server in question is ProLiant DL380 G4. Any help would be much appreciated as I need to get this resolved urgently since this is our amongst other things EVA management server as well.

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

This sounds like a permissions issue. Are you trying to install through remote desktop by chance? Are you running the latest bios for the server?

What is the current version of PSP that you are using now?
(VJ)
Advisor

All updates have been performed using Administrator account. Initially I ran PSP setup using terminal services connection, however doing the same on other servers didn't cause any issues, but since tried using iLo with the same result.

Server hardware is updated with the latest firmware available for all devices inc NIC-s, iLo, HDD etc and the latest patch updates available for Server 2003 SP1. Previous version of PSP was 7.70A as same as on all other servers that have been successfully updated to PSP 7.80A.

Cheers
Vjeko
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

If you go into device manager there is an option to show hidden devices. Are there any devices or drivers showing up that has been recently been removed or added that there may be duplicates of? When windows sees that a device has been removed, it leaves a copy of the device in device manager but leaves it hidden. What PCI cards are you using in this server? Have you made any changes at all to this server recently hardware wise? Have you had any parts replaced?

What is the device, bus and function when you goto the properties of the unknown device in device manager? It should at least give you that information or give you the pci slot. If it is anything but 00 then it is a pci card, 00 is onboard/embedded.

If you goto the systemboard section of HP SIM Homepage, you can click on pci devices and it gives you a breakdown of device, function, bus etc... and you might be able to match up the device driver that is not installing.

(VJ)
Advisor

There are no hidden devices in device manager nor Unknown Devices, all devices are properly installed. Everything was working fine and still is working fine with drivers from PSP 7.70. The problem only occurs when I try to upgrade driver(s) to PSP 7.80A Ver for NIC, 6x RAID Controller Card, iLo, QLogic FC Card and RAGE XL Video Adapter.

No hardware has been Added/Removed or replaced since PSP 7.70 deployment.
(VJ)
Advisor

Just in case that anybody else comes across the similar problem I managed to resolve the issue by applying SP2 for Server 2003 and than re-applying PSP 7.80A. Everything is working just fine, finally.

Cheers
(VJ)
Advisor

Cheers