108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "flipping bits" in SQL DB for suspend/resume monitoring

SOLVED
Go to solution
Durrell Bishop

"flipping bits" in SQL DB for suspend/resume monitoring

Hi all,

I saw in another post that writing to the SIM DB is highly discouraged. In this case however, I'm not interested in adding any data. I simply want to be able to change the monitoring mode from suspend to resume (and specify the amount of time) through "flipping" the existing "bits" in the DB. The reason for doing it this way is that we already have an Enterprise wide "maintenance mode" web page that disables monitoring in some other applications, and we want to be able to do this in SIM at the same time, preferably without some kludge to do it in through the command-line tools.

Does anyone know what tables and fields to look at in SQL Enterprise Manager, or through some other method?

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Using the CLI is not a kludge, it is the only supported method. All of the fields and tables are documented in help and the User Guide at http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim. However, be warned that writing to the tables is unsupported; it's not tested that way and HP Services will not be able to assist. It is also highly probable that while you might change a flag to 'suspend' for example, that the change will not be recognized until some other trigger happens that causes an index update, not to mention other possibilities of instability.
Durrell Bishop

Thanks for the information, that's very helpful. I have one more question however. I've pored through the tables listed in the Reference Guide, and I cannot find the correct table and record for the suspend/resume monitoring values. Any ideas?
Durrell Bishop

Does anyone have ideas about the last question I posted regarding which table(s) and field(s) contain the values for suspend/resume monitoring?

Thanks in advance!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor
Solution

I believe this is part of the answer, but as Mr. Claypool mentioned - THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED. I am NOT suggesting you manually update this column...just answering your question :)

Table name = "devices"
Column name = "OverallStatus"

1 = not in maintenance
Some other value = in maintenance

For example, if you put a server in maintenace for "5 minutes" this value changes to "9". If you "Suspend monitoring of this system indefinitely" it is also set to 9. So whatever controlls "how long" is a mystery to me at this point.

Nelson
Durrell Bishop

Thanks Nelson, much appreciated! I'll give it a try in our test environment and see what happens.