Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1751805 Members
4951 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: registering agent error. The VMM agent connot be connected (Max Points)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mazda
Regular Advisor

registering agent error. The VMM agent connot be connected (Max Points)

CMS version 5.2 SP1 on Windows 2003
ESX 3.5 patch 1
HP SIM management agent for ESX 8.1.0
VMM agent 4.5.0.2036

I have successfuly installed the VMM agent on the ESX host. I did this by copying the package to ESX, untaring and executing. No errors were evident. From SIM I can identify the VMWare host. On the CMS I have run mxagentconfig and added the vmware host. I then generated the keys, copied to esx host and restarted appropriate services (also rebooted when this didn't work).

vmcli -listagents does not show any agents. When I run vmcli -registeragent I get the following in the hpvmmsvc.log

INFO - Start Register Agent: 1.1.1.91
INFO - Virtual Center Update completed successfully
ERROR - An error occurred while registering agent 1.1.1.91as VMM agent cannot be connected

I have restarted all servers including CMS. I have also added the ports to the ESX firewall fire and restart with the same result...
23 REPLIES 23
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Have you copied and registered the .cer file on the ESX Host?
See the quick setup guide - this is for 3.1 but the process is the same.
Look on the 3rd page - registering the ESX Hosts.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=1113762&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc01365008%2Fc01365008.pdf

Mazda
Regular Advisor

Is this the same as going to https://server:2381 and importing certifcate in trust management?
Santhosh Ramesh
Advisor

Is there a reason why you are trying to manually deploy and register the VMM Agent? You can do this from the SIM UI (Deploy->Deploy Drivers, Firmware and Agents->Install VMM Agent->Linux).

This will both deploy the VMM Agent and register the ESX host.

Alternately, if there are any earlier installations of the VMM Agent on the ESX host, it might be advisable to uninstall it before you re-deploy the VMM Agent.

The VMM Registration (UI and Manual) steps are available in the VMM 3.5 User Guide located here --> http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01421558/c01421558.pdf

HTH, --Santhosh
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The VMM certificate is different from the HP Agents one.
If you're doing this manually there's a few vm*.ks files that need to be copied across as well as an install script.
I ran mine from the root directory - from memory there's a bit of a catch where it can be run from.

It's better to treat VMM and the HP Agents separately.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Deployment via SIM gui never stops running. Do I need SSH on the CMS to deploy?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I've typically used the same approach as you - copy stuff over manually.
My link didn't seem to work, following the link above, look at the section about deploying VMM (around pg 21 or 25 IIRC).

That details copying the vm*.ks files. I have seen an install script but that just copies these files to the directory described in the document.
You'll need to restart the hpvmm service on the ESX host.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Rob, yeah I did that......followed the process. There were two files that I copied then renamed. I then cycled the server.
I also did things like sync the clocks. I am seeing most information in the GUI but am missing things like performance etc.....When I run an identify it states that VMM agent does not appear to be installed/running.

I will check the certs again but I did follow the process in the link. I was the document I worked from.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The other item to check would be that the VMM agent install has opened the holes in the ESX firewall.
At home so can't check, but it is different from the HP agent ones.
Mazda
Regular Advisor

Yeah have manually opened the ports (there is a range)....