1753261 Members
4865 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

restarting SNMP agent problem

lomic

restarting SNMP agent problem

Hi,

I have a problem with SNMP agent configuration with HP SIM 4.2.
On the CMS I have a Event handler configured to forward critical events to a email address.
On the Homepage of a managed system, a critical event is reported. But the event handler does not send email and no critical event is recorded on the CMS.

If I restart the agents of the managed system, critical events are recorded by the CMS & emails sent. But lots of emails are sent and I get flooded by this (4/minute for the event).
After that, if I disable and then re-enable the event handler on the CMS I don't receive emails anymore.

Do you have any idea why I don't receive emails after restarting the event handler?
and why I have to restart the agent on the managed system to receive event on the CMS?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: restarting SNMP agent problem

Is SNMP Configured to send Traps to the CMS? it's set up in the Trap Section of SNMP.

You can test the mechanism using the HP Management Agent Gui (from Control Panel) there's a Send Trap Button. That should generate a Generic Major Event.
lomic

SNMP is correctly configured. CMS receives the generic trap and it can be forwarded by email without any problem.
I managed to understand why I got flooded by emails, but the 2nd point is still not clear:
For the critical event I am talking about, if the event handler on the CMS is stopped and restarted after the managed system agent is restarted, no event will be generated.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure what you mean about restarting the event handler on the CMS.

Restarting agents on a remote server will not cause a critical alert for HPSIM. HPSIM will itself generate a critical alert only if it can no longer contact the Server.