1752770 Members
4703 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

sending alerts to my Windows Mobile phone

Jesse Rink
Advisor

sending alerts to my Windows Mobile phone

My cell phone is able to receive text messages. However, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get SIM to send messages to it for alerts. I do not want it to use email, but instead use the modem connected to the server.

Reason being that when my firewall goes down, I lose internet connetivity which prevents those SIM notifications from going out.

Is it possible to use a new phone like Windows Mobile and set it up to receive Pager notifications? I see an option for this in SIM, but I don't even know if this is possible, nor do I know what PIN # it's asking for, etc.

Anyone doing this?
1 REPLY 1
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: sending alerts to my Windows Mobile phone

The pager application supplied with HP SIM is for a standard alphanumeric pager using TAPI. Note that this is NOT the same as the SMS format typically used by mobile phones. If your service provider provides a TAPI gateway, then this could be used. For most people an email gateway is what is required.

Microsoft provides a free *unsupported* utility that will send SMS messages, but the requirement is to have a mobile phone connected to the computer to use as the SMS gateway. Search Microsoft for "smssender"