Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange ESXi 4.1 discovery

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

strange ESXi 4.1 discovery

Hi,

I have 2 identical blades BL490 G6 with ESXi 4.1 from HP installed, also identical...

However, when I do a discovery in SIM (6.3), I get to different results...

Blade 1 is all OK, all green. However on blade 2 I get the message "Completed with minor errors".

Further:

Normal: The system has vaild hardware data (model, serial number and unique identifier) etc etc

Minor: HP SIM can access the ESX host and VM information on the embedded ESX host but cannot get data the serial number. Either the Proliant SNMP Insight Agent needs to be installed or the SSH needs to be configured to allow identification to run the dmidecode command.

I do not get this error on the first blade which is identical.

When I check in the server list, I see the 2 blades with ESXi etc discovered, including also the serial number.

The only final difference that I see is that blade 1 (which is OK) shows VMware ESXi 4.1.0 as OS name while blade 2 (the bad one) shows VMware ESXi Alternate Boot Bank.

I did a clean install already again of the server from scratch, same result...

Any idea?

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
6 REPLIES
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Re: strange ESXi 4.1 discovery

Have you checked the blade FW's are identical and verified the serial number information is being seen in the BIOS?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes the 2 serial numbers are well displayed in the BIOS, insidethe ILO and also in the OA console...

These are 2 serial numbers starting with DEH which I never saw before, untill now I only saw CZ and GB but I assume these are OK...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shocko
Honored Contributor

Can you re-run identification and post the log?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Meanwhile I have upgraded the servers to ESXi 5.0... Testing now some stuff since HP SIM still discovers them as 4.1... Must be a MIB issue...

Kr,

Bart

Hello Bart,

I have the same problem with the dmidecode. Have you fixed the problem and how?

Regards,

Bernd

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No never got a solution for it...

Meanwhile blades are upgraded to 5.0 U1 and installing SIM 7.0 soon...

Will check if everything is better now...

Kr,

Bart