1753464 Members
4926 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tempdb.ldf consumes drive space

Sam_182
Advisor

tempdb.ldf consumes drive space

I run MSDE and upgraded from SIM 4.2 to 5.0 to install Performance Management Pack.

Since the upgrade when Insight Manager does a Daily Discovery, the tempdb.ldf grows until it consumes all the drive space. I have to stop and start the SQL service for it unlock its strangle hold on my server's drive space.

I set the recovery on tempdb to simple.

Is this a known problem with SIM 5.0?

Is there a fix for this?

Sam
6 REPLIES 6
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

Do you have Virtualization Management Software (HP VMM) running as well? If so and you are not using it then stop this service and see if this helps. HP is investigating the possible causes of this and so far disabling the VMM service has worked around the issues.
Sam_182
Advisor

Thanks, I was forced to shut down SIM because this templog.ldf was getting to big. I removed the VMM. Not sure at this point if I will ever need it and that seems to have stabilized the .ldf file from growing out of control during discoveries. I will continue to keep an eye on it.
Marcel v.d. Steeg
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sam,

If you don't need to restore the DB with transaction logs, please change the recovery mode of the DB to simple. I think it's now on Full. When it's on full, the size can grow dramatically.

(You can use the Enterprise manager (or a MSDE freeware tool for this:) First make a backup of the DB, de-attach the database, rename the .ldf file and attach the DB again. You get an error which says that you don't have a .ldf and that a newone is being created. You'll see that the .ldf file isn't growing that fast anymore.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marcel
(PS. Don't forget the points..)
Sam_182
Advisor

As initially indicated the recovery mode is already simple.

Tempdb
1017.81 MB
sa
Mar 20 2006
Status=ONLINE, Updateability=READ_WRITE, UserAccess=MULTI_USER, Recovery=SIMPLE, Version=539, Collation=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52, IsAutoCreateStatistics, IsAutoUpdateStatistics
Sam_182
Advisor

Shutting down the Virtualization Management Software (HP VMM) fixed the problem. The log file stopped growing out of control. Thanks
Sam_182
Advisor

Closed