1753797 Members
7488 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

vSphere 4.1 traps in hpsim 6.03

Unix Administrator_5
Frequent Advisor

vSphere 4.1 traps in hpsim 6.03

I have vSphere 4.1 configured to send traps to my 6.03 HPSIM server.  I the sim server receives traps sent from the OS level, but traps sent from vSphere do not show up.  I have confirmed that the traps are getting to my sim server by running snmptrapd with SIM shut down.

How can I get the vSphere traps to show up in the SIM console?

4 REPLIES 4
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: vSphere 4.1 traps in hpsim 6.03

You need to find the MIB file with the trap definition and load them into HP SIM. mcompile and mxmib You can  find a lot of community entries on how to integrate your additional SNMP trap definitions. You can also verify the incoming traps if you allow SIM to display unregistered traps. In this case you are sure that your trap source is sending a supported SNMP version, before you start the work.

Please let me know why you want to forward the Vsphere events to SIM.

I am interested to know your approach of monitoring in the VSphere environment.

We are using  SIM and  Insight Remote Support Advance to monitor all the ESXi Hosts Systems  and the VSphere Center.

shocko
Honored Contributor

vSphere traps? Do you have vSphere mib loaded in SIM (so it can convert the OID in the snmp traps to something meaningful) and set SIM to accept unknown traps in the config options?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Unix Administrator_5
Frequent Advisor

MIBS are loaded on the SIM server.  I will configure it to show unregistered traps.

BPE
Esteemed Contributor

You should check the log files of the SIM I guess some java stack dumps or your MIB file did not include the trap definitions. Can you see the loaded Mib file entries in the Option->Events->SNMP Trap Settings and do you see enabled trap definitions. "Enable Trap Handling: Yes" . 

It can take some time until you can see the entries after your selected mib name.