5708 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: vca and linux

Deas.h
Occasional Advisor

vca and linux

hello,

we should install all hp tools on linux. the linux team installed the redhat enterprise 5 by hand - so there is nothing from hp on the servers now. so i tried it how we do it on windows - install smh and vca, configure vca and install everything. when i do this on linux i get this response:

---cut---

The HP Smart Update Manager for Linux cannot be downloaded from the repository, deployment of SCEXE components will be performed from command line and Src.rpm components installation will be skipped.

hp-e1000-8.0.25-1.src.rpm Skipped

Please initiate Automatic update in VCRM to download HP Smart Update Manager for Linux

---cut---

what does this error want to tell me?!? when i look into the repository folder i see a hpsum file with 7,26mb which should be the linux executable. hp sim is running on a windows server.

thank´s a lot for your help!

brgds Deas

5 REPLIES 5
Deas.h
Occasional Advisor

hmm - nobody here that knows anything about vca and linux? at least some hints how to make a proper setup would be nice.

the main problem i think is that i have no clue about linux and the people managing linux have no clue what they need on their system to run all the hp stuff. so what firewall rules do they need? what must they start (and how?) after the setup? and how can we do a working setup? i found out that they played around on another system and installed the complete support pack, but this is also not working. when i log on to the system homepage i just see the vca and nothing else. also snmp does not know what server it is running on. so there must be something we missed!

in windows a working setup is so easy compared to linux i think...

brgds Deas

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am definitely not a Linux expert but have to manage a lot of servers including Linux ones... I must admit that managing Windows servers is much easier and straightforward... ;-)

I was able to get the HP stuff on a SLES 10 server and after some searching everything seems to work...

What you need to follow is the instructions where you download the PSP for that server... There were quite some prerequisites of files and compilers that needed to be on the server... Afterwards the installation went fine and I was able to connect to the SMH...

Do not forget (like with Windows) to configure SNMP so that localhost and the SIM server are in with at least read rights and public community...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Deas.h
Occasional Advisor

hello,

yes, on windows this is MUCH easier!!! :)

so the important part are the prereqs - thank´s for the info! i´ll point my linux admin´s to that again and let them check if they have all of them installed.

snmp is set as on all windows servers, but "something" must be missing.

one last question: do you install the complete support pack, or do you install a minimum set (system management homepage and version control agen) and install then a customized support pack? that´s what i´d like to do...

brgds Deas

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Yes I install the full PSP... Just to be sure... Since the Linux competence at the customer site is not big enough to naarow down...

Untill now I never heard if issues installing the full PSP...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Deas.h
Occasional Advisor

we run a emc storage system with qlogic hba and emc does not like the hp drivers in case of a support call. so we build our own support packs where all the things we don´t want are excluded.

brgds Deas