Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753773 Members
5244 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: wbem-wmi hp sim port

Fabio Besana

wbem-wmi hp sim port

Hi, i had a problem with wbem port. I want receive wbem events from windows server, but there is a firewall and i have to know which ports by open. In HP SIM documentation i see that ports by open are 5989 from CMS to Agent, 50004 from Agent to CMS and 50005 to CMS, but i think there is some dynamic port because only these port aren't enough.
Have you some idea ?

Thanks
Fabio
18 REPLIES 18
cez
Advisor

Hi Fabio,

Have you ever figured what ports to open?

Our windows servers inside corporate were fine sending WBEM events to SIM server. However the ones behind the firewall were not working. We have tried many different ports according to documentation unsuccessfully. We also have called HP tech support and have it escalated but so far they are of no help. It seems like WBEM uses some random ports. The document mentioned about WMI Wrapper and also fault via SNMP or SMTP mail only. Have you looked at those? Were you able to get it working? Please share your findings.

Regards,
Cez
Jeramy
Advisor

I am in the same situation, the documentation appears to be just plain wrong. If i open the TCP ports described in the documentation, i cannot get the WBEM events, however if i disable the firewall, i get them just fine.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Don't confuse WBEM and WMI. While WMI is Windows' implementation of WBEM, it uses DCOM as a transport and operates on dynamically-allocated ports.

See page 11 of "Managing HP servers through firewalls with Insight Software 6.0 or greater" from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library. It indicates a best practice (although doesn't explain why) of placing an instance of the WMI Mapper inside a firewalled network so that HP SIM's native WBEM communications over port 5989 can be maintained (this extends to potentially installing the WMI Mapper on each and every system if a system firewall is in place).

Alternatively, since installing the mapper on every system may be impractical and inefficient, MSDN has several articles on setting up WMI for remote access through firewalls, including how to set up a fixed port: http://www.google.com/search?q=wmi+firewall+site:microsoft.com
Jeramy
Advisor

I have the WBEM agent installed on the remote host. And should be sending WBEM events.
When you configure the agents
"Configuring WBEM enables you to configure a target Linux, Windows, or HP-UX system to send WBEM indications or events to Systems Insight Manager."

So..WBEM is not sending the events over the right port.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

What OS is the target running? If it is Windows, then the protocol is WMI.
Jeramy
Advisor

didn't meant to hijack your thread Fabio.
Yes the server is windows 2k8 R2 Sp1. and the WBEM agent is installed. If its using WMI, whats the point of having a configurable WBEM agent?
SMH is also using WBEM.
cez
Advisor

Hi David,

I've setup WMI wrapper on the managed node which is behind the firewall but still couldn't get it to work. The managed nodes are Windows Server 2003. All I need is to get the WBEM events when something's wrong with the HP hardware.

Have you setup and got this to work before? Can you please elaborate on the setup?

Thanks,
Cez
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

After you set up the WMI Mapper on the managed node, did you open port 5989 in the firewall and configure the location of the WMI Mapper in HP SIM's protocol settings so it could be found? It's all pretty simple. Just need to make sure everyone can see each other. No magic involved.
Jeramy
Advisor

I just did the same thing that cez did, setup the wmi mapper proxy on managed nodes. during the setup it asks what port, specified the 5989.
in SIM added the server to the global protocal settings, and the port.
went to the managed nodes SMH , to send a test message, it does not arrive on the SIM server , if i disable the firewall it goes through, wireshark shows it coming through on ports 51912, 62879,62878 etc.
so its still using WMI, and not the mapper, or the WBEM agent