Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753826 Members
8796 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

what are the name of the services that SIM agent installs on servers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
davema
Occasional Contributor

what are the name of the services that SIM agent installs on servers?

I am trying to configure my newly installed HPSIM to give me alerts on servers. I installed HPSIM 5.0 and it auto-discovered all of my servers (I entered the IP range they live in). I get alerts on server reboots or shutdowns. However I am not getting alerts on things like drive failures, etc.......I was told here that I need to configure server side trap settings and make sure an agent is installed.

I am very confused reading all the documentation about where these agents are located and what I need to install. I have deployed all servers with smartstart, so I am wongering if I already have the agents installed. Is there a service the agent runs under that I can check to see if its installed?

Thanks

Dave
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: what are the name of the services that SIM agent installs on servers?

Yes, SmartStart should automatically have installed the ProLiant Support Pack that contains all of the agents and the required drivers.

If you have recently installed HP SIM 5.0, please be aware that is 2 releases downrev. Current release is HP SIM 5.2 Update 1, and can be downloaded from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim

It sounds like you should use the 'Configure or Repair Agents' function in HP SIM to fix communication problems with your agents. Find it on the 'Deploy' menu in HP SIM and follow the wizard.

You also may benefit from the document, 'Getting Started with HP SIM in a Smaller Windows Environment' from http://www.hp.com/go/hpsim --> Information Library
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There are two sides to HPSIM. One it polls around and checks servers etc are reachable. If they're not it generates an event itself.

The other aspect are the agents, these monitor the hardware on the remote servers. If they detect a problem they'll generate an snmp trap.
For this to work SNMP needs to be configured on all of the servers with a Trap destination pointing to the HPSIM Server.
In addition snmp needs to be configure to allow the HPSIM host access.
davema
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to both for your replies.

David, is there an upgrade path to SIM 5.2?

As far as SNMP, are the community names significant? Do they need to match up with a setting on the SIM server itself? I've put in a name of my choice on the server and the IP address of the SIM server as the destination.

Also, from my SIM server I went to Configure>configure or repair agents and the first time through everything succeeded except it said OpenSSH server was not present. I then went to DEPLOY>deploy drivers>install OpenSSH and installed this remotely to the server. Is this component necessary for SIM to monitor hardware issues?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yes the Community names need to match and they're case-sensitive.

I thgink to upgrade from 5.0 you need to go to 5.1 first, but if yo go to www.hp.com/go/hpsim and then go to the Information Library you'll find upgrade procedures.

But if this is a new installation I'd restart at 5.2.