Re: 1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
jamiecc
Visitor

1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

Help!

I have just got this error! 

1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives during previous Rebuild or Background Surface scan.
Errors will be corrected when the sector(s) are overwritten. Action: Backup and Restore recommended.

I found it by rebooting my Gen10+ and it would not start ESXi 

I can see from the link below that it is linked to the Smart Array Card E208i-p SR Gen 10 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00104843en_us&docLocale=en_US 

The 2 SSDs are in R1 but I am a little confused with the info at the bottom of this link:

• For RAID 1, 10, ADM (Single or multiple logical drives in single array):
    1. Backup all the logical drive(s) in the array.
    2. Verify the backup data.
    3. Erase all disks in the array using SSA/SSCLI with One-pass: Write all zeroes.
    4. Recreate all the logical drive(s).
    5. Restore the data from the backup to all the logical drives.

Note: The 1716 and 1915 POST error messages will not reappear if additional media errors do not occur during a subsequent scan or file system check, or after files have been restored to the reconfigured array from a backup.

One of the 2 SSDs I can access the data and see multiple partitions etc.

I am confused on the best way to back this up and then restore it.

Do I just clone the SSD

Then erase the sources as mentioned, then restore the cloned drive over the top of both drives?

That will be enough to get it to fix the errors?

Obviously updating the firmware of the smart array card.

Confused on recreating the logical drives in the config and then restoring over the clone, surely it would erase that?

Please help!!

8 REPLIES 8
Richard75
Frequent Advisor

hi,

What is on the Logical drive, ESX installation and VM's ?

You loose all data on the drive when you delete the logical drive,  probably a fresh install of ESX is the fastest way, backup the config and restore the config (same version ESX installed) . if thera are also VM's installed. restore them trough your backup application

I work for many years with HPE products, but i don't work for HPE so this is not official support
jamiecc
Visitor

Hey,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes, it is the ESXI install and VMs.

I cannot start ESXI, it gives an error when trying to start.  All I have is access to one of the ssds in the raid1 with all the partitions. I know one of the 2 drives is intact!

How to restore from this alone ? 

If I was to wipe them both and re-create with new ESXi, where would the vm files be ?

Or can I clone as per the HPE link and restore. I am not fully understanding their guide

jamiecc
Visitor

Image of partitions

https://ibb.co/1YcjYP6

support_s
System Recommended

Query: 1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

jamiecc
Visitor

Re: Query: 1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

Do you have a working link??  

Request Error
The access request cannot be completed due to an administrative issue identified with your account. To resolve this issue submit a support request.
Richard75
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi,

This is a disk layout of a windows machine.  you said you had a ESX instal

If one of the disk is okay and it is a raid 1 set. you can  turn of the server and start from the working disk.

when it is booted you can backup, esx , vm's . and afterwards re create and restore.

I work for many years with HPE products, but i don't work for HPE so this is not official support
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

jamiecc 

If any one of the drive having media errors then replace that drive.

also

Set Surface scan priority to High from SSA.

Monitor for 24 hours and check.

Incase 1716 error still persist or

if both drives are having media errors then follow the resolution as per the advisory.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

jamiecc
Visitor

Thanks, yes

This is what I am doing .

With no help from HPE themseleves, I have found a link to the SPP 2021.10 with needed updates.

Will look into SuperMicro or Dell next time due to service support

Thanks again