108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: APC ups question

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

APC ups question

I have a new L3000/rp5470 running HPUX 11.11. I am wondering if there is any way to get it to communicate with a APC 5000 UPS. I know HP offers a UPS, but I want to rack mount this with other WIN2K servers that will all be using the APC. If I can save a little money and space by not buying the HP UPS that would be great. SO, does anybody know of any "RELIABLE" software that will communicate between the HP and the APC?
9 REPLIES 9
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

Sorry. Meant to put this on the Sys Adm forum. I don't know how to move it.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

APC has a software package called PowerChute that will do the trick. I think that's what you're going to need.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

John-

(finally. stupid slow server...)

anyway, I am running 11.0, and have a different model, but I am running the powerchute software. unlike the windows version, the unix version you have to buy (like $100 or so). you need the black cable on the ups. it is nice cause you can set up shutdown times, etc and have it send commands once on battery (like umount, etc). We had for a while our NT server also on it, as a secondary box, but control was with the unix server. the downside was that I don't think it can send commands to the NT, but I won't swear to it. You might actually need to call APC about the software; I had to dig to find it a few years ago.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
John Peace
Frequent Advisor

I talked to APC. They said I had to be running X-Windows, and I am not. Don't quite understand why X-Windows and not just a process that can shutdown the system like the HP UPS has. So I guess I will have to buy the HP UPS.
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor

that's wierd. I didn't need to have x-windows running, unless if they changed the software. I just had to make a new user, install the software. it runs on a gui interface, but nothing spectacular. Actually, it can run in a text interface (like SAM on a console).

on ther're website they have a software for network shutdown

http://www.apc.com/tools/download/software_comp.cfm?sw_sku=sdw42&os_list=AIX%2CHP%2FUX%2CLinux%2CNovell%2CSolaris%2CWindows%20XP%2F2000%2FNT

don't know what it's for, but you might want to look at it.

I have powerchute PLUS for UNIX, v. 4.2.3

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
You might want to verify that with the APC guy.
If you want to use the logging and administration features you will need a GUI, but you should be able to access files and set up your system's shut down time command line.

I'm assuming your server has no graphics, but you should also be able to export the DISPLAY to any workstation you might use with graphics And use the admin features there. They're pretty neat.

I have 3 APC's and I was bent when I found out that you had to purchase $110 software for HP-UX. All the literature said HP-UX was supported not optional. APC tech support told me my "serial cable" was my license and that I could install on more than one system, so it would stand to reason you could as well. Just call them up and act "bent". ;)

I personally, think that APC makes a really nice UPS. If you can use it, I recommend them.

Good luck,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Troy_6

John,

Why don't you just run X Windows?
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I've run PowerChute and it was a free download from the APC website. Did not have to buy it.
As for X Windows, PowerChute also has a web interface. I access and manage it from my browser.
As long as your UPS has a Management card in it with a network interface you do not need to directly connect the UPS to the server. If it is on the same network with your host it can communicated. If you have host that is on two networks, the host can relay from the UPS to hosts on another network. It's slick.