Servers - General
1753814 Members
7840 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Anyone familiar with HPE's smart array devices here?

Timothyy
Occasional Visitor

Anyone familiar with HPE's smart array devices here?

Looking for a comparison of the b140i driver based software RAID controller, and the P840 SAS/SATA RAID controller with 4GB cache.

I am still evaluating the use of 3.5" LFF disks (maximum 10 with the b140i, 8 with the P840) or 2.5" SFF disks (maximum 18 with the b140i and 16 with the P840). the b140 has 2 SATA ports, so I could put 16 SFF and 2 LFF.

Currently not concerned between SAS and SATA and b140i should be fine even in SATA only. It would be used with 7200rpm disks in most cases. Only the 2.5" SFF with the P840 could be 10k SAS option I can see.

AlaskasWorld

If capacity is more important than pure speed (without being a few hundred of megabits/sec of course!) would the b140 with 2 recent CPUs such as E5-2698 v4, perform well enough? Or would the use of the P840 , no matter the disks, but drastic enough to consider that instead? I know the b140i uses ram as the cache, I don't have an issue with the concept, the server would be provisioned with enough cache for the OS, VMs and cache.

1 REPLY 1
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Anyone familiar with HPE's smart array devices here?

Hello,

I would request you share the server model number with the Generation for further investigation.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo