5204 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: C1099 Console Setup for two hosts

David LaPoint
Occasional Advisor

C1099 Console Setup for two hosts

Hi,

I have three servers and two C1099 consoles. I found out today I should be able to connect two servers at once to a console and flip back and forth. I have them both connected and I believe configured, but I can't figure out how to switch back and forth. Can anyone offer any suggestions or documentation?

Thanks,
Dave
You want to ask me a quick question? Sure! You can have the quick answer too, 42!
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

When you want to switch you need to go into the setup & change the input port from Serial 1 to Serial 2 & vice-versa. As long as you have the comm paramters correct (9600 baud 8-N-1), the term type (HP-Term) correct on both ports & the proper cables, that's all you should have to do.
I don't believe there's a key or key combo that does that out of the box. But that unit does have a fairly sophisticated user-define capability & you might possibly be able to map a sequence to do the above.
But I've never done it though.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
David LaPoint
Occasional Advisor

I think that is what I've done. But I don't get any response from that host.

I have one host set up on the EIA port and one on the AUX port. I go into the 'config keys' and then the Quick Menu. There I change the host/printer setting from EIA to AUX. I exit and save, but don't get any response until I go and switch it back to EIA, which puts me back on host #1. I can connect to host #2 if I flip the cables, but then I have the same problem trying to get to the host on the AUX port. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
You want to ask me a quick question? Sure! You can have the quick answer too, 42!
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I'd suspect one of two things:

1) The setup for the AUX port - make sure it matches the EIA port exactly.

2) The cable on the AUX port - if this is DB9 - DB9 then should be
2 - 3
3 - 2
5 - 5

If it's DB9 - DB25 it should be
2 - 3
3 - 2
5 - 7

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
David LaPoint
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have double checked the configuration on AUX. It's identical to the EIA port. But the cabling I'm not sure about. I trying to use the same cable that works for use on the EIA port for use on AUX. Should I use a different cable?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Dave: when I've seen this work, it has been the same cable (25452G, DB9-DB25) on both ports. I seem to recall that the aux port has the wrong gender (the cable is Male at the CRT end), so you need a F/F gender changer to use the same cable on both.

From what you are seeing, does that make sense?

If the cable you have on EIA (standard port) works OK, try just moving that cable to the AUX port, to eliminate cable issues. This is where you will (I think) need the gender mender.

As Jeff says, if the port settings are identical between the AUX and EIA setup screens, there is no reason why this should not work.

I WISH mightily that there were a hot-key combo that would allow switching between the two ports, like so many other TERMs have... but I don't know of one.

If you ever find such a thing, please post it back here for us to find.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
David LaPoint
Occasional Advisor

Brian:

Thanks for your message. Both of my ports on the console are 25 pin females. So I don't need to use a gender mender. I've tried the same cable on both ports, using the same settings, and it will only work on the EIA port. It doesn't work on the AUX port. Is there a different cable I should use for the AUX port? Is it pinned differently?

I agree, a hot key work be great. Doesn't seem it would be hard to include either.

At the moment, making this work isn't a big deal. I have a working console for all my boxes except for a new one which will get its own soon. But it bugs me I can't make this work. I would like to figure this out before I 'have' to. Thanks to everyone for their comments. There must be something simple I'm missing, because others have made this work...

Thanks,
Dave