1753829 Members
8543 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot communicate with R1500XR ups with 6-port card

Terje Johansen
Occasional Contributor

Cannot communicate with R1500XR ups with 6-port card

I acquired two new R1500XR ups with the 6-port option card (192185-B21) to replace two older, fried boxes. While the power supply itself works satisfyingly I am not at all able to communicate with the ups through the 6-port cards.

Currently I am working on just one of the upses; on this box, only one server (Win NT 4.0)is installed with cable from COM1 to Port 2. The server was previously installed with the Lansoft Power Monitor; when the new ups was connected the monitor went yellow and reported 'communication errow with ups'. I have since tried reinstalling the LPM, installing the Compaq PM, installing the HP PM, and installing the HPRM. At the moment, I am running Compaq Power manager 1.81 for NT. Also installed on the server is Compaq Insight Manager.

Each time, after restarting the monitor service, the monitor goes yellow with the same message as before. I have tried Port 1 and tried the other COM-port on the server, but still no contact has been achieved. I am using the communication cables supplied with the card and have also tried the cables supplied with the previous ups, with no positive effect. The cable is well attached. Please advice as to what I should do next.
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Terje,

Please refer to my response http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=698074 regarding the 6-port card usage. I recommend you to download and use HP Power Manager 3.1 for your servers. Upgrading the Windows NT would also be good since HP will drop NT support starting with HPPM software release after 3.1. If you still have questions on configuring/using the software/UPS with 6-port card, post your questions here.

Thanks,
Steve
Terje Johansen
Occasional Contributor

I have now removed the Compaq Power Manager and instead installed the HP Power manager 3.1.8. During installation and during configuration attempts the software searches on the COM1 port for the UPS with the Pro UPS and XPC protocols, but does not find anything.
Terje Johansen
Occasional Contributor

Apparently the error was caused by a dead option-port card. Problem solved.