Servers - General
1751814 Members
5783 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cloning a raid 6 array, or best way to move data?

bjones10
Occasional Collector

Cloning a raid 6 array, or best way to move data?

Hello, I currently have an HP360e Gen8 with two 2TB raid 6 arrays (4 1TB drives each). One is the primary boot partition and data on 4 SAS drives, the other is currently empty with 4 SSD's. Both arrays are exactly the same size, and both are on the P420 controller. The question is, what is the best way to clone/migrate/image the data off the SAS array and over to the SSD array? The final goal being to remove the SAS array alltogether and use the SSD array as the boot partition and main drive going forward. This can be done during a down time window of 48 hours, so the server doesn't have to stay live. Is there any HP utility that can accomplish this? Or if not, what would be the best 3rd party utility for the task. Thanks for any suggestions or best practices in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @bjones10 

Thank yor for the Post.

You may try the following : 

> Open SSA - Smart Storage Administrator

> Clcik on Array Controller

> Click on Configure

> Select Logical Drive, you will see option "Move Logical Drive" on the right Side, then you may select the Drives and proceed further.

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

bjones10
Occasional Collector

I see no option to move the logical drive at all. All I see in HSSA are the options to (Migrate RAID/Strip Size) and (Delete Logical drive). There is no option to move it.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @bjones10 ,

Thank you for the reply.

I believe thats because the Drives type are different.

You may have to take a back up - create RAID - and restore the Back up to perform the task.

(Make sure the valid Data Back up is available)

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo