1748146 Members
3652 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Compaq KVM

Fred Sandage

Compaq KVM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my Compaq KVM switch. Last week we lost power for several hours causing our battery backup to drain, consequently shutting down all of our servers and PBX for several more hours. When everything came back up I hit the PrtScn button on the keyboard to change to a different server to log it on and it asked for a password (the KVM not the server). I'm not the one who originally set it up but it's never asked for a password before. Is there a way to bypass this or reset the KVM? I tried unplugging it for a day to see if it would reset but it still comes up and asks for a password and there├в s no manual switch that I can see on it to change between servers. The PrtScn key is the only key I've ever used to control the KVM and I can't find any documentation around here about it. Does anyone have any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
Fr
10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

There is a Compaq KVM manual available to download. Check:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/user_reference_guides/141555-001.html

Maybe there you will find some information how to reset the password for the KVM switch.

Mathias
David Borges

I've read somewhere the default user is Admin and the default password is blank but this was on a 1x1x16 port ip kvm.
Simon-Emile Pelletier
Occasional Advisor

Great!!!

The Admin with blank password worked perfectly!

thanks.
Fred Sandage

Just wanted to let everyone know that HP will not help me out. I've spent hours on the phone & searching the web to get all the information I can about my product. The Compaq part # is 400337-001 and it's the 1x8-Port Console Server switch. I've done everything they've suggested including updating the firmware (which left the kvm completly useless). There is a back door password they could give me but since I don't have the original proof of purchase they won't give it to me. I understand about repairing a broken item and warranty's but all I need to do is get into the switch and remove an unknown password so I can use the kvm. It would take them seconds to help me out with this and make me a very happy customer, instead by refusing assistance they've lost a return customer for ever.

Fred
Jave

I have the same problem to you, Do you find the password?
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor
Jave

Dear Roben :
Thanks for your reply, but it seems only used for "IP console switch"(since it uses IP console viewer only can find IP console switch), my is "server console switch", not uses CAT5 cable. I try to use RS232 cable, but has the same question like Kelvin, what do I set the connection parameter.

Thanks.

Jave
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Try using default parameters
Jave

Hi, I try many times include default, but there is nothing been showed, only a cursor.
my cable is used for upgrade firmware and already sucessful, or I need to change another cable?

thanks and regards.

Jave