New Discussion

Re: DL380 G7 won't boot from HDD

SOLVED
Go to solution
krisa1281
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G7 won't boot from HDD

Hello!

I recently picked up a DL380 G7 that I planned on using for a homelab running Proxmox.  Other than a 4-port NIC card it is stock.  72 GB and ESXi on the internal SD card

I installed 2 1TB drives in RAID 1 formation (in slots 1 and 2) and set them as the boot drive.  Set ROM boot order to CDROM/USB Key/HDD/Floppy.  Then installed Debian 10 (Buster).  Everything went flawlessly until I rebooted.  the DL380 will not recognize the drives (Error says"Non-System Disk or disk error. Replace and strike key when ready."  If I reboot the machine and manually override the boot order, the machine boots into GRUB and Debian flawlessly.

I have tried reinstall several times, alternating drives and even trying a single drive install with RAID 0.  All with the same result.

Any ideas on what I am missing?

2 REPLIES 2
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Restart the server and set the hard disk as 1st boot. I hope below snapshot will help you.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

krisa1281
Occasional Visitor

Thanks!  I'm confused why the BIOS didn't boot with the CDROM higher on the list.  Regardless it now recognizes GRUB and boots through without user intervention.

Thanks again!!